1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunch payments overdue: children put in lunch isolation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Jul 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Your turning into a real Tory Frank

2. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

They better take a look at me too then. I'm also guilty of the terrible crime of sometimes being a couple of days late with payment in the past.

vannie likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Was it two days?

No.

Next?

4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

What's your point? It was probably much more than the 2 days over this woman was guilty of.

Actually, one time I didn't realise that I needed to renew my eldest's cello lessons the term before and was probably well over a month late with payment. It was one of the first terms he was taking it at the school, and I'd got myself in a muddle with what I needed to pay when - I was probably too busy watching Sky or smoking to read the letter properly tbh, you know how it is. The very nice chaps at the music service gave me a couple of weeks grace, then eventually sent me a reminder letter, at which point I realised my mistake and it was all sorted out amicably without them punishing my child.

Flere-Imsaho and vannie like this.
  5. FrankWolley

It was 2 weeks for this woman - looks like you haven't actually read the story...

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I have read the story thanks, and I don't care how late she was, or how you dress it up, the pupil should not have been the one who was being punished.

I've been later with payments than 2 weeks, not because I'm feckless or irresponsible but because I'm human and sometimes I mess up, or get mixed up, or find myself in a situation where there is so much else going on that it slips my mind, and in some cases just can't afford to make the payment right then but need to wait a couple of weeks till some money I'm expecting comes in.

If any business decided that they were within their rights to start issuing sanctions, then fine, that's my problem and I could have avoided it. What they shouldn't be thinking about doing however is punishing my children for my behaviour.

minnie me likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

Naive.

If you - say - argued with another parent (maybe over not repaying a debt :D) then that parent would, quite likely, not invite your child to their children's treat/party etc. So your children would be punished by your actions.

A goods life lesson for mother & child in this case...

8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

An out of school hours, one off party is not the same as a communal lunch with everyone else every day.

And what lesson exactly is the child learning? To make sure they're born to more responsible parents next time? Or that the doling out of a punishment is more important than making sure your punishing the correct person.

minnie me, drek and pepper5 like this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

The story has in all probability been written to excite the public and cause 'heated debate' about the issue of 'free schools'.

The truth is probably far more mundane but newspaper editors know which twist in the 'tale' keeps their bread buttered.

I do agree with certain points in the argument.
    The issue about lunch payments being treated like rental agreements.
    Next step of course will be to introduce lunch deposit schemes to 'avoid' these situations.

Thats what happens when anyone can open a school.

They only need to meet financial obligations to do so it seems.

Any scientologists out there opening schools yet?

Parents will of course have to sign a confidentiality agreement before they send their unsuspecting child off to one of these.

The danger with these sorts of environments is that there may not be any stories in the press until 15 years later when the children grow up and ask why no one was able to help them.

That will be a sad day. But Gove, May et al must be remembered for all the policies they changed for donations.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

What is notable is that story broke in the Mail, Mrs Gove's esteemed organ. Why?

11. FrankWolley

The last school I worked in had a 'no money' canteen. Pupils had cards to access an account their parents had to charge online. No credit in the account = no ability to buy lunch...

In those circumstances pupils normally relied on 'begging' from their friends.

12. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Excellent preparation for when they'll need to do the same on the streets right?

vannie likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

I think it was felt to be very 'safe' as pupils had no reason to bring money to school - so avoiding loss or potential theft (inside school or on the, sometimes long, journey to school across London).

Mind you they didn't ask me before bringing it in, and teachers had to use the same system...

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Going back a few years, and before the time of Jamie Oliver, school meals were TERRIBLE. You can probably remember it. So I used to prepare a nutritious lunch for my daughter to take to school each day, the night before. It wasn't looked on as a sign of poverty then, or making the child suffer because "I couldn't afford school meals." I'm sure that teachers would have seen that the reason was because I thought my daughter's health was worth it. So those who don't send money for dinners should be prepared to pack a nutritious lunch instead - - - - but would some of them want this bother or even know what a nutritious lunch was. If you walk round the supermarket one day, look at the heavily overweight women packing their trollies with rubbish for their children to eat and to drink. They could well be the ones who can't afford the school meals - and yet I know that some really are suffering and the food banks are helping them.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The school at the centre of this story doesn't allow packed lunches. You have the school dinner and snacks at the cost published and that's that.

16. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I too sent my boy with a packed lunch in Primary. Sometimes it was a tuna sandwich, fresh veg and fruit, sometimes it was a sandwich, a kit kat and crisps. He didn't die and we always had a proper meal at tea time. All the c r a p in supermarkets is cheaper than proper food. Add into that parents who were possibly poorly parented themselves and who give in to pester power because they don't like to say no and you have a recipe for obesity. Some of the children in my class arrive at school with big packets of crisps or rice krispy bars for breakfast. Their parents aren't bad parents. The children are loved and cared for. They just make bad choices. We do everything we can in Primary to counteract this. There is a massive focus on healthy living and making better choices. It's not an easy fix. Looking at other people's trolley in supermarkets and making assumptions doesn't really tell us anything. People are overweight for any number of reasons.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

I remember a few years back spending 'healthy eating week' doing heaps and heaps about good food choices with my then year 5/6 class. All the children were engaged and keen to learn, it was that kind of school. At the village shop after school towards the end of the week I saw twin boys from the class (both already very overweight as was their mother) being bought an after school snack of a bag of doughnuts each. Mum was then buying a pizza each for their meal later.

What child in their right mind is ever going to say "Mum that's not healthy. I'd rather have a banana than a bag of doughnuts and we really should only have a 1/4 of the pizza each and fill the plate with salad."? I can honestly say that was the only time I have ever thought my job was a total waste of time.

Both boys are now young men, just left school and utterly enormous, despite being reasonably active on their bikes and so on.

vannie likes this.
  18. RollingJuggernaut

RollingJuggernaut New commenter

The deputy head's blog is amazing! Just found it. All about Michaela School. About the children. In short sentences. About how they walk. In silence. Single file. Eyes ahead. Backs straight. Without talking. Because the school loves them. But the love has to be tough. The sentences short. The school strict. So the children learn. To speak in French. Except when they're walking. In silence. Ties tied tight and shoes shining. It sounds strict but the kids are smiling. Except when they are walking. Which must be done single file. Eyes forward. In silence...

It's hypnotic!

19. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

With very little exception they are overweight because they eat more than they need.

Healthy eating does not have to be expensive. It just takes a little more effort.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

Don't forget that 'Michaela kids turn heads'. (Kids????? How is that 'private school ethos' type language?)
    Not surprised, I'd stare and wonder what the heck was going on. Normal people don't walk along the streets in silence. Normal people look to the left and right and keep an eye on their surroundings.

Ok I am not the best at writing, not by a long chalk. But then I don't teach language either! This man has led INSET and trained other teachers, yet without being able to write a decent piece of prose.

His blog post about the less able, just avoids the issue entirely. Basically he does nothing for the truly less able, just sorts out the lazy or unwilling. Apparently the 'kids' jog to the local sports place to do PE. Really? Every child who arrives in year 7 can keep up with that? Oh no, anyone who ignores the teacher twice goes back to school and misses PE. Bet those who mess about most at changing time and lining up to jog are those who have no intention of doing PE at all, let along jogging along the street where everyone can see them! Again though, get to the lesson and the less able are just not there to cater for.

It really isn't a 'private school ethos' at all.