1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lunch duty

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by piglet171, Feb 23, 2011.

1. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Is it normal for teachers in small schools to take on lunch duty? Normally our HT does it, but on the many occasions when she is not in school, the teaching staff do it. Is our school the norm for a small school, or just badly organised?

2. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Is it normal for teachers in small schools to take on lunch duty? Normally our HT does it, but on the many occasions when she is not in school, the teaching staff do it. Is our school the norm for a small school, or just badly organised?

3. In terms of TP21, it is not a teaching duty so you can't be required to do it.

4. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

mydoll's right, you don't have to do it. But you seem to expect there to be an accepted procedure in place when the HT is out. Who do you expect to do it? Do you think people should be brought in especially for the job?

5. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Under devolved school management regulations you would normally have a staffing allocation to cover dining and playground supervision, although the actual duties may be incorporated into the job remit of classroom/learning assistants or general auxiliaries.
    It may be your HT is doing lunch duty to save money or for other reasons such as getting to know the children. Either way, that is her decision and she shouldn't be imposing lunch duty on class teachers.
    You mention that she is often out of school on other business. Presumably a DHT or PT is left in charge. Even if a school has no other promoted members of staff, it is normal practice under health and safety regulations for someone to be nominated as a point of contact in event of an emergency.
    Unfortunately, it is all too easy in small schools for practices to creep in which contravene nationally agreed conditions of service and teachers, particularly if they are recently appointed, can be reluctant to rock the boat.
    If you feel strongly about it, why don't you contact your union or ask if the school has money allocated by the LA for dining supervision?

6. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

We are the only small school I know of where this happens. I DO expect there to be a procedure in place, for example staggering classroom assistant lunch hours. That's who I expect to do it. And no I don't expect people to be brought in specially for the job. My post seems to have upset you somehow. I wonder why. It was a simple question.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

A perfectly reasonable expectation. Ask your union rep to raise it when she starts negtotiating the next year's working time agreement. i.e. NOW.

8. phil-osophy

phil-osophy New commenter

I'm in a small school and most of the staff do a lunch duty, we are not 'expected' but you get a free lunch. Staff that do it chose to do it. I enjoy lunch duty as another way to interact with the kids but wouldn't want to feel I had to it.

9. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Your post didn't upset me. I apologise for coming across as snippy! I think I may have taken my frustrations out on you as there's been a bit of a saga over lunch duty at my place. People volunteered to do it then half of them moaned non-stop about it, as if it was something they were forced to do. I've been subjected to (mostly stupid) arguments from both sides, for and against, and am fed up telling people they don't have to do it if they don't want to. It's like talking to a brick wall and they carry on doing it and complaining about doing it. I realise now your situation is very different to ours and I apologise again for my uncharacteristic spurt of knee-jerk sarcasm! Yes, if you're not happy and are being told to do it you should speak to your union rep as has been suggested by more helpful people. I wouldn't contact a union person outside school in the first instance though. Good luck!

10. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

If we do it we get a sweetie from a big box one of the deputes has. Little, human things make all the difference.

11. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Other people might call it working for sweeties!

12. Is this for real?

13. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Even a "thank you" sometimes is enough, to get a sweetie from a Sweetie is like icing on the cake!