1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lump sum payment question

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by richest1, Jul 12, 2019.

1. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

Has anyone had their maybe large lump sum payment too their ban, say 80k plus and have their bank ring them to check if this is correct etc?

2. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Yes. Part of the fraud check department - they wanted to be sure I was aware of it and to check that I wasn't being used as a money-mule.

border_walker likes this.
  3. richest1

I see.

4. richest1

Just not keen on the banks ringing me and asking questions. Do I have too answer questions out of interest of tell them too clear off lol? Yes I don't like and never have likes banks.

5. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

You don't have to, and I'd be wary of giving too much detail away to an unsolicited call but all they did was ask me to confirm a few bits. My father when he retired had a call from their investment arm asking him to come in for 'advice' he told them to sling their hook.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's about money laundering. Nothing to worry about (but, as said above, maybe go into your bank and speak to them in person or phone them, rather than responding to a phone call you weren't expecting!)

7. richest1

Thats it we are just checking they say oh and btw can we ask Neil Woodford or his friends invest it for you:(. Your father gave the correct response.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you took a belligerently refuse-to-tell-you-anything attitude (I'm sure you wouldn't :) ) the bank could freeze your account and deny you access to the lump sum until they had completed an investigation into the source of funds. They have various legal obligations under money laundering regulations to satisfy themselves about the source of sudden large payments into a customer's account. (No doubt, having satisfied themselves, some will then try to sell you investment services too, but you can definitely tell them to sling their hook on that.)

Like you I would always be suspicious of any unsolicited call claiming to be from my bank and if I wasn't 100% satisfied I would say that I would go into my branch with the necessary proof of source of funds and take in the TPS documentation. I realise this only works if you bank with a traditional high street bank that still has some branches!

9. richest1

Good tip thanks