1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Luggage, weekend bags

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality, duffel bag style bags that fit enough for a weekend/short haul sort of trip?

I'm not prepared to invest in a suitcase yet, but would like a stylish, decent quality bag for around £150. Or less!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm afraid I hate carrying heavy things, so I'm a trolley girl. We have decent samsonite wheelies that arejust small enough to take into the cabin. Even on long-haul flights to warm places, we manage to avoid the carousel that way.

3. £150? Primark have them for £6 but you run the risk of them falling apart on the way to the airport.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I usually head along to Beatties for luggage. I've been fortunate to time it for when they are having a sale and have had some lovely cases from them.
    Debenhams has a good range too if you haven't got a Beatties/House of Fraser near you.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Or a rucksack would do you? You could get a good one for much less than £150 and if you want it for airline travel, you can get a padlockable zip up nylon cover for it cheaply too.

6. The thing is, I own 5 rucksacks of various guises, from 11 litres to 75 litres as I prefer to travel like that. I HATE dragging things as they just trip people up and it's so much quicker to move with things on your back. 18 kilos doesn't present me with too many problems for a couple of hours. However, increasingly, as my budget and tastes change, I'm am going on slightly classier trips where I can tend to feel a bit odd with a backpack for a short break/ weekend away when I'm dressed up. I don't have too, or necessarily want to spend £150, but last time I spent £35, the bag only lasted 6 goes before it fell apart...
    I've been looking at Mandarina Duck luggage, but I don't know enough about it.

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

If you get a case with 4 wheels it slips along neatly beside you instead of lagging behind. Daughter has just bought a snazzy one for half price.

8. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Found very good holdall in Milletts a few years ago - quite handy for a couple of nights away.

9. Sorry, but if you want to look classy you should forget about the holdall. Get a little suitcase with wheeels.
    Mandarina Duck is Italian, meant to be good quality but you don't need to spend that much. I have a little Debenhams case which was £20 and has withstood 4 years of rough treatment.

10. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

For a weekender suitcase I'd go for a Sub Zero G suitcase (can even get them from Argos) We used it as cabin baggage for our move to Aus and were pretty impressed. 10 year guarantee and very light too all for under 30quid x

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

For a weekender suitcase I'd go for a Sub Zero G suitcase (can even get them from Argos)
    We used it as cabin baggage for our move to Aus and were pretty
    impressed. 10 year guarantee and very light too all for under 30quid x