1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LSA with child leaving school

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by camis, Feb 16, 2012.

1. camis

camis New commenter

The child that I am an LSA for is leaving to go to High School in the summer, so I have always known that my job would finish then. I have also been fortunate to gain a place on a PGCE course starting in September.

My question is, do I need to resign, or would I be made redundant? Obviously my school knows I have a PGCE place, so would asking about redundancy seem a bit greedy? What is the normal situation when a funded child leaves a school?

I don't want to seem mercenary - and I know budgets are tight - but as I will have no income next year if I was entitled to anything it would be very useful!

2. Check the wording but normally your contract will end with the childs funding. There will be nothing for you to be entitled to if your thinking of extra pay unfortunately. This happened to me, luckily I was given several months notice and the school were supportive with references and time off for interviews. I recieved my termination of contract letter before feb half term knowing the child was leaving school that July.

3. Do check your contract. Different schools have different policies. It is not like this in the school that I work in and even during the time that I have worked there the goalposts have changed.

4. Could I advise you not to resign? By doing this you make yourself intentionally jobless and this will delay/stop any jobseeker allowance you may be entitled to. If you have a contract specific to a one to one child it should specify how your contract ends.