1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LSA filling in as KS3 English teacher - Where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by c.southern, Jan 6, 2011.

1. I have been asked to fill in at my school by taking a KS3 English class for the rest of the year. Whilst this is a great opportunity for me as a prospective student teacher come September; I am quite worried about whether I am being taken advantage of on a financial level. I have not been offered any kind of information on how this will affect my contract, hours, or pay scale.
    As far as I am aware on a purely anecdotal level, I could expect to be 0.6 LSA and 0.4 Unqualified teacher. Does anybody know if there is any precedent on this and where I might get more information and advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I would expect to be paid on the unqualified scale in return for taking on such responsibility, but who knows what your school is hoping to get away with. The only way to find out would be to ask them.

3. In fairness I'd be more concerned at an unqualified teacher taking my son/daughter for the rest of the year for English. Sorry.

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi all,
    There are plenty of unqualified teachers teaching in our schools nowadays...GTPs, 'instructors' etc. The qualification of QTS doesn't necessarily guarantee anything about the quality of a teacher, although I do believe that the degree and QTS status of teaching should be maintained.
    As for your situation, I don't think you should take this on unless you are appropriately paid for what you are going to do. If it really is 0.4 of a teachers timetable...you should be paid for it.
    Mark

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

QTS guarantees they have at least been trained to teach. GTP is in the process of training. A qualified teacher should be sought first and only if that fails should any unqualified person be considered.
    There is at present no shortage of qualified teachers, read the NQT or supply thread for an insight into the plight of many fully qualified Teachers.

6. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Yes, I agree with you, but lets remember that the OP is a GTP-in waiting! I've seen qualified teachers who really are totally useless in the classroom and wondered how they have survived so many years in the classroom, with an unqualified teacher in the next room who was brilliant.
    As for teacher supply/demand, it does still depend on subject/stage and geographical area - there are still areas where there is a great demand for teachers and supply is short. And lets remember that being a supply teacher is a job choice, not a career choice...they are perfectly able to take on full time posts if they want!
    Mark

7. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Is that in the same way as an A'Level student is a doctor in waiting? Has the OP actually been accepted on a training course? Unless the post is advertised how do you know there isn't anyone available, we are after all talking about 2 entire terms, two-thirds of an academic year or doesn't it really matter if it's KS3 and the OP gets a bit of practice in.
    Do you really think all supply teachers are there out of choice? If so you are more than a little naive, likewise do you think all NQTs who can't secure a post just 'aren't good enough'. I have met an endless procession over the last few years of those who can't secure a permanent post and are trying to complete induction through a series of short term contracts...they are indeed perfectly able and more than willing to take on a full time or part time permanent post but that offer will never come.
    I have met some unqualified teachers who are good and many, many more qualified teachers who are significantly better. I am also becoming very familiar with increasing numbers of weak, unqualified people being left in sole charge of classes on the basis of 'budgets' and that is becoming to me a matter of very deep concern.

8. There are many precedents on this matter. Regulations state that timetabled classes for core subjects must be taught by qualified teachers but some people just reject such regulations. But there are also guidelines which quite clearly state that cover can only be undertaken for periods of a maximum 3 days for absent teachers. This quite clearly exceeds that so is a case where a qualified teacher should be appointed.
    There are 45,000 supply teachers in the country (a reduction of over 5,000 on last year) many of whom would love the chance for some work. Politicians, senior civil servants and trade union leaders have stated that support staff should not be inter-changeable or replace qualified teachers but this is quite clearly a case where that is happening.

9. I agree, it's about time secondary schools start teaching KS3 children !