1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lower literacy set - using punctuation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fahrsx, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I am in desperate need of some fun and interesting ideas to help my literacy set secure a use of punctuation.
    I have tried all sorts and nothing seems to be sticking. I work with the lower set of 31 children between P6 and a level 2c in writing. The groups are soon to be made smaller and so hopefully will mean teaching can be more targeted. However for now I have a week of 'key skills' to be taught and I need these children to use full stops consistently and to even attempt to use exclamtion and question marks in their writing. They know when to use them they just don't! So some good activities, games, songs that might help these children apply their understanding. I am willing to try anything!
    Thank you
    Fahrsx [​IMG]

2. I am in desperate need of some fun and interesting ideas to help my literacy set secure a use of punctuation.
    I have tried all sorts and nothing seems to be sticking. I work with the lower set of 31 children between P6 and a level 2c in writing. The groups are soon to be made smaller and so hopefully will mean teaching can be more targeted. However for now I have a week of 'key skills' to be taught and I need these children to use full stops consistently and to even attempt to use exclamtion and question marks in their writing. They know when to use them they just don't! So some good activities, games, songs that might help these children apply their understanding. I am willing to try anything!
    Thank you
    Fahrsx [​IMG]

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But for those between p6 and low level 1, using full stops themselves is going to be beyond them. Level 1 writing only requires that 'with support' they have an 'awareness of how full stops are used'. Going from there to using them consistently and independently and adding in question marks and exclamation marks is a huge leap.

Obviously your children at 1a and 2c should be able to manage full stops and be beginning to use question marks themselves. But for the rest you may be expecting too much.

Can they do full stops with support? eg When you scribe a sentence and ask 'what goes at the end?' do they know to say 'full stop'? If they write a sentence and you ask 'what do you need at the end?' can they do it then? That is level 1.

In shared and guided writing keep asking them 'what goes at the end?' Never write a full stop yourself without asking them. My 1c pair can do this and sometimes add their own full stops at the end without prompting. My 1a children definitely can. I don't have any 1bs.

4. Sorry my OP wasn't very clear! I will be working on punctuation as part of my key skills week with children from level 1b-2c. My P scale and 1c children will focus on other key skills to improve their writing including activities where they have to know what comes at the end of a sentence.