1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low protein (and low salt) diet

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon2980, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Apparently I need to change the way I eat. Oh joy...
    Have been told I need to switch to a low protein/low salt diet, but so far have had absolutely no guidelines or info.
    We don't eat a lot of red meat at all (once a week tops), but we do eat fish, chicken & eggs quite regularly.
    How low is 'low protein'? Any clever scientific food tech people (lapin!) - please help!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds to me someone thinks you have a kidney problem Manashee.
    Basically chicken, red meat, eggs and fish are all high protein. No difference in protein content of red meat or white meat. There's no legal definition of 'low protein' in a food. Loe fat is considered less than 5%, but this is a somewhat arbitrary figure anyway.
    Most of the salt in our diet is hidden in foods like bread, sauces, biscuits, ceereals etc.
    I think you need to get further guidance from whoever suggested this diet for you. If it wasn't your GP then I'd not take any notice!

3. Yep. May need some surgery some time soon. ******. :-(
    Consultant Urologist yesterday suggested switching to the above diet ASAP, but it was just an initial consultation. Presumably my GP will elaborate and give me some sort of paperwork/diet sheet thing.
    Not happy at all.

4. BelleDuJour

Oh no. Poor you :(
    Hopefully. Just saying 'low protein and low salt diet' is not very helpfull.
    Let us know what happens won't you xxx

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Poor you, try cutting down on salt, gradually decrease the amount you use. I never add salt to veggi cooking water except for potatoes. I don't even put salt on chips any more!
    Low protein is a bit more difficult, but start to cut down on meat and use more vegetables!
    This link is to a good article, I hope it helps.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Sorry to hear this, M. xxx

7. BelleDuJour

This has ittle effect on our salt intake Lapin.
    In Heston's book 'Kitchen Chemistry' (sent free to all school science depts a few years ago) there's an experiment where a measured amount of salt was added to the water that vegetables were then cooked in. After cooking the veg, the salt was reclaimed from the water and it was found virtually none had been used up ie, no salt had 'entered' the veg. This doesn't explain why veg cooked in salted water has more flavour, but it leessens and 'worry' over the use of salt.
    No Italian would be seen dead cooking pasta without salt, and rice without salt tastes like blotting paper.
    I'd leave the salt in cooking water but not add any at the table (I don't anyway) and watch out for hidden salt in processed foods like bread, biscuits, sauces and many breakfast cereals are real salt cellars!