1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low paying Saudi School

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Principal-Skinner, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Just been emailed a job listing for a school in Saudi who are for a primary teacher and they're only offering $40,000 for 7 years experience! That's $US and not even sterling. I remember years and years ago seeing jobs in Saudi for £50,000. Are those days long gone, or is this school just offering pisporpay?
    Not that I'm interested in working in Saudi, nicely settled where I am in Springfield, but I'm on the email list of a few agencies and just curiously keeping up with what goes on.

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, as it's free to sing and you can't squander anything on wine or women, I guess they reckon you don't need that much dosh.

3. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

The reason Saudi used to be high paying included the lack of booze and other restrictions.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

My comment was tongue in cheek. When I think of Saudi, I think of the baddie at the beginning of Avatar giving the troops the talk on where they might like to spend their R and R.

5. From what I understand it really does vary in Saudi, with the Aramco schools reportedly paying silly money. I have heard that typical salaries for unpromoted teachers range from £1600 a month to £2700 a month, depending on schools and years experience (also depending on the US dollar as the Saudi Riyal is pegged to it). With other benefits included.

A colleague of mine who is now a lecturer in Islamic Studies in the States is of the opinion that Saudi will be the 'last to go', and it is just a matter of time. I wonder....