1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low/no salt cooking- how do you add flavour?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rharg, Dec 8, 2011.

1. I am currently weaning my dd and I am trying to give her what we have but need to omit/reduce the salt. The biggest problem I'm finding is with stocks as they are either pretty salty or pretty disgusting! I have started to make my own stock but need back up plans as I know that in reality I won't always have my own stock available. So, when I'm making stews what herbs/spices go with each meat? Anything else I could add to improve the flavour? Any delicious recipes for different stocks? Thank you.

2. I am currently weaning my dd and I am trying to give her what we have but need to omit/reduce the salt. The biggest problem I'm finding is with stocks as they are either pretty salty or pretty disgusting! I have started to make my own stock but need back up plans as I know that in reality I won't always have my own stock available. So, when I'm making stews what herbs/spices go with each meat? Anything else I could add to improve the flavour? Any delicious recipes for different stocks? Thank you.

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I know I'm going to get slagged off for this

But I dont add salt to anything, food tastes fine to me and many others who have eaten it.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

If I don't have my own stock I use low salt marigold powder. It's grand. Re what spices and herbs to add to each meat- depends on what you want to cook! Give us some idea of what dishes you want to prepare and then we could help out.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Use lots of herbs and black pepper, Marigold veg thingie is good, but save all the veg peelings and make stock, then compost them!!

6. Thanks for Marigold suggestion.
    Never thought of using the peelings!
    What herbs/spices would go well with beef casserole? Chicken casserole? Or is it personal preference? Are dried herbs ok or are fresh much better? (Haven't used fresh herbs much before.)
    My poor dd having me cooking for her! [​IMG]

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I prefer fresh but use dried if you don't have any. Thyme and chicken are brilliant together, beef needs a a mixture of bay leaves and thyme or tarragon is good. ditto lemon rinds and tarragon with chicken.

8. Thanks for that lapinrose, very helpful. I shall give them a whirl.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We're making two lots of everything. One without salt and occasionally cutting things out such as chilli. This means we can still eat salt and she gets good homemade food!
    We don't do this for everything as one batch made up for her will make 3 or 4 meals once pureed and frozen, so we make her meals on two consecutive days, plus extras such as pureed fruit and veg and then don't need to make anything specially for her for 4 or 5 days, yet she still gets good variety once you factor in finger food (currently cooked steak, cooked chicken, pieces of raw fruit and cooked veg, cooked fusilli, toast soldiers and chunks of cheese - she's taken a liking to extra mature cheddar; no need to namby-pamby her on Dairylea and the mild stuff!).
    It's lovely to know our daughter's only 7 months old yet eating pretty much the same as us.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Like Grandelf, I dont use salt at all. Use Marigold for stock and dried herbs mainly if none in yard. lots of pepper tho.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

BTW pick up packs of herbs reduced, stick them in the freezer, good for stock. I got akilo of sliced red onions for 49p in Morrisons tonight, no plans for use as yet, but they'll be useful for soups etc. Same with any veg or meat bones.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

check you local "ethnic" store - I but 5kg onions for £1.49 and pay £2.00 for 3 huge bunches of herbs (often end up freezing them!). It is also a far cheaper place to buy spices.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No ethnic shops here, have to go to Brighton or Eastbourne for Polish. So if you count the cost of travel there and back and parking, makes it expensive.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

yes, it would

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Rely on trips to the ME to stock up with spices, broought a kilo of sumac back from Jordan!!