1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low motivation, poor behaviour Year 9 French

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by raspberrysouffle, Oct 19, 2015.

1. raspberrysouffle

raspberrysouffle New commenter

I am really struggling with a group of quite low ability Year 9 French. They find it impossible to shut up while I am teaching and short of throwing about 6-10 of them out every lesson,I am running out of ideas. Please help!

We are doing Expo Vert GCSE book, chapter 1 if that helps

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I had a similar nightmare group, whilst on a supply contract. There were so many children with behavioural issues and I really began to question my own ability as a teacher. I would dread every lesson. Can you get a TA or LS to come in? Another pair of hands and eyes would make a big difference.
    Make sure you apply sanctions amd don't let up. I avoided games or any activity that would make them even more excitable. They liked languages films, BBC class clips, etc. Anything hands-on: cutting, sticking, creating, although be prepared for mess. Have an activity ready on their desks that they can begin as soon as they walk in. I gave up standing at the front and talking - I prepared task sheets based on whatever we were studying and they worked their way through each activity at their own pace, independently. Tick in the box for differentiation, too! It also frees you up to go around to individuals and mark work, at the same time. Book the computer room and, again, write an instruction sheet with specific tasks. You can get creative: quiz questions, research topics, ask them to create powerpoints, use MFL games websites. I also handed out raffle tickets for good behaviour, great work, etc.and drew the winning ticket, say, once a week.

Sounds brilliant, doesn't it?
    They were still a ruddy nightmare, though!
    Good luck!

3. karaka

karaka New commenter

Are they doing GCSE? Or just waiting out the year until they can drop it?

4. venkmani1991

venkmani1991 New commenter

I do lots of games, and also I put everything on a PPT (answers, lists of words they need, instructions among other things) and I never turn my back on my bottom set y9. Also I keep homework to a minimum and do lots of short, pacey tasks in lesson.
    Last year I had a bottom set y9 GCSE group and it was horrid but I tried to just find out things about the boys and girls, taking an interest in them. I did have to get support from their HoY and my HoD regularly and 11/12 of them got Ds or Es but by the end they were trying because they knew I cared about them.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Geoff Thomas likes this.