1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low level disruption

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sazzle27, May 23, 2011.

1. Can anyone help please? I am in my second year of teaching MFL in an inner city comp and have recently started to struggle more and more with low level disruption- constant talking, pen tapping, swinging on chairs, etc etc. I try to ignore it but I find that I lose my thread with what I'm saying, so I'm sure other pupils must be distracted too. I follow the school's behaviour/sanctions policy and have my own classroom rules in place too. I know you're not meant to take it personally but I'm starting to think it's me!

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

It's not you! It's them, unless you're swinging on chairs and annoying yourself?
    What you do about it, though, is your responsibility. How do you normally follow up from bad behaviour? I would say that tacitly ignoring some bad behaviour is a good strategy when you have bigger fish to fry, but it sounds like these fish have become whales, and ignoring it isn't serving the best purpose. If it distracts you, then it's bad enough to deserve a reaction from you; not necessarily, immediately, but in the form of after school sanctions. If you apply them to your motley crew then you should see a bit of a decrease. Perhaps they've gotten used to getting away with poor behaviour? unfortunately many children will do it until they're made to stop.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

choose the ones you know that you will get parental support from and ring them up.

4. Its

Its New commenter

OK I am retired so what do I know?

When I did my teaching practice, back in the old days we never got any of this. Why? Well, (ouch!) all the children faced the front and had their own desk (today modular spacial).

We were told for a 35 minute lesson:
    Presentation. Jolly greeting and make sure everyone is in place. They usually lined up outside and then came in in a line. that was terribly important.
    Teacher explains what to do (never for more than 2 minutes on any account ever).
    Reading: Children read the lesson to themselves either out loud or silently from a book/ the board/ your laptop etc etc.
    Written work: Children do their written work from a book answering questions on the passage. You sit there and read the paper. Questions later. You work at night for them.
    Then we collected the books in and marked them before the next lesson. This meant, of course, in those far off days, correcting grammar and syntax and also factual errors in writing in the margin.
    Pretty soon you got to know who was doing what, who was not coping, who was doing really well and so on.
    If you started the next lesson by asking a couple of the good ones (especially the boys, of course) to read out their answers, that was even better. Or, of course, asking the ones who had really improved to read out, that was even better.
    You then recorded the marks in a book which you flashed at parents' Evenings.

Nowadays this is a joke.

Perhaps that is your problem? You are working like mad in the lesson and not very much at home?

5. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I teach MFL. We cannot ignore these things. If your expectations are that they shouldn't happen in your lesson then you need to issue warnings and sanctions about such behaviour.

6. AH! The margin! I do love a margin. Having been teaching for over 30 years I am appalled at the disregard for the importance of "setting out" in workbooks. How easy is fit or children and teachers to find common or recurring errors when noted in a margin. Helps enormously in personal conferencing. A little effort at the start of a year pays dividends throughout!