1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

low level disruption-ideas and methods?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by amylong, May 20, 2011.

1. amylong

amylong New commenter

Hi all,

a small group of teachers and I are working on a research project, with the focus being behaviour for learning/ low level disruption (ie talking over us or chatting! )I'm concerned that we may only be repeating what people know already when we feedback ideas about why they disrupt and how we can handle it.
    Does anyone have any innovative ideas or methods that you or your school uses to cobat low level disruption? I'm going to make a booklet and share it with teachers.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi Amy
    Why they disrupt: mainly, because they feel they can get away with it. The list of internal motivations that explains the behaviour of people is potentially infinite. Let's face it, making children sit in a room and learn for long periods is going to breed a little frustration. But this is perfectly normal, even in the most altruistic, well planned classroom.
    The key issue every teacher needs to address is to help the children learn to restrain themselves; to develop self- mastery; to resist the temptation to give in to every childish whim and selfish need. They need to know that the focus of the room is their education, and that in order for this to happen, they'll have to learn to deny themselves the pleasure of chatting to their chums.
    While I think we should applaud the attempt to maintain good behaviour through new and innovative techniques, the reality is that good behaviour is usually achieved through a combination of consistency, fair rules, sanctions and encouragement, amongst other things. Once these are in place, then teachers should be free to innovate depending on the relationship between themselves and the students.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/