1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low-key dessert ideas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Jan 6, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm having a coupl of friends over mid-week next week for dinner and a catch up. I'm going to be doing a moroccan lamb tagine with cous cous and maybe some home-made bread to mop up juices etc but I'm stuck what to do for dessert!
    I don't think it should be too heavy based on what we're having for the main meal and being mid-week I want something fairly simple (although I can prepare stuff the night before no problem).
    My dessert specialities are usually rich, chocolately and gooey so not really ideal in this situation so all ideas welcome!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Fresh fruit salad, lemon souffle,tarte au citron

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I like the idea of something citrusy - aren't souffles incredibly difficult to make though? :(

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

What about lemon or mago sorbet?

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

How about sliced oranges with a few mint sprigs, dressed with orange flower water, sprinkled with pistachios and dusted with icing sugar?

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a nice simple lemon mousse recipe. It's just lemon juice, rind, sugar, egg whites and cream. It looks rustic but tastes wonderful and is really easy to make.
    Let me know if you'd like me to dig it out.

7. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Like the idea of either the lemon sorbet or the lemon mousse (recipe would be great, thanks!)

8. Lemon syllabub is lovely. Light and lovely not light in calories though.

9. Si N. Tiffick

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Lots of yummy ideas there thanks everyone :)

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Lemon Mousse for 4
    283ml double cream
    1 lemon
    60g caster sugar
    2 egg whites
    Whisk the cream, lemon zest and sugar until thick. Add the juice and whisk again briefly. Don't make it too stiff (oo er!).
    Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold them into the cream.
    Put into 4 glasses and chill.
    I have added a bit of lemoncello to liven it up but too much makes it separate a bit. It's a scruffy looking mousse because there is no gelatin in it but I prefer the texture that way.

13. Do we know each other lapin? I make that! Sometimes mix cream and yoghurt together too.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Depends, did you use Nicebites website when it was running?

15. No.
    Made me wonder though for a minute

16. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks everyone - I have decided to go for lemon sorbet and make some nice little biscuit type things to go with it - that way it can be as heavy or light as each person chooses :)

17. Si N. Tiffick

18. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ooh they look gorgeous and perfect thanks!!