1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low GCSE results in DT subjects

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by sunshinebert, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Did anybody else find the DT results lower than expected. Despite all teachers working really hard throughout the year my department got 30% A-C.
    We are an underfunded department despite being a technology school although this is no excuse.
    All students must take a technology subject so these results are based on a whole year group.
    Any comments would be apprciated. Did anyone find students fell down in the written exam?

2. Did anybody else find the DT results lower than expected. Despite all teachers working really hard throughout the year my department got 30% A-C.
    We are an underfunded department despite being a technology school although this is no excuse.
    All students must take a technology subject so these results are based on a whole year group.
    Any comments would be apprciated. Did anyone find students fell down in the written exam?

3. We found excatly the same in Resistant Materials. Although quality of our work this year was as good if not better our A-C grades were 20% lower. Looked like exam grades were low and they moderated work down without real good reasons. We have rang them and they are coming to re modertae all our coursework and we are going to get a sample of scripts back and if they are marked low we are asking to have them all looked at. Not sure whether this will help but im sure my pupils were better than the grades they got.

4. TC7

TC7

Which board were you doing because we too are disappointed with this years results? I have all the breakdowns/mark thresholds but they still got lower grades and without last years information to compare with ( which I will get when I go into school) I believe the coursework was marked much harder, for Textiles they had to get 65 for a C grade and in Food 61 for a C grade, in passed years we have always said they needed to get over about 56 - 60 to be comfortable, unless they did particularly poor on the written papers. We do OCR and all areas were disappointing.

5. I have not yet seen the full results or boundaries for grades but I thought my results were low compared to other years. I had a number of D's which I was not expecting and after marking the exam papers for the second year in a row I thought we would have done far better than we did!
    AQA must have pushed the boundaries much higher!!??
    Disappointed indeed.

6. boundries have been published on aqa website - cant find the link now but they are on there!

7. like jennar, i too was disappointed. there were four Ds that i hoped might have been Cs. The students thought they had done ok in the exam but...
    AQA RM btw. feel rather gutted and under pressure, my whole school year seems to be yr11, yr 11, yr 11.

8. We do use the AQA board

9. is there a pattern here

10. Hey,

My school do OCR accross all dt's, and results have come in slightly above school average at about 75% A-C. (We're a comprehensive school with a broad range of kids).

I know OCR are changing all their courses for examination in 2009, so maybe worth changing next year if people are saying that AQA is the source of all low marks!?

Dav

11. we actually did better this year - AQA food - though it did feel like getting blood out of a stone at times.
    we limit the variety of topics they can choose for their task (4)
    Break the coursework down into units and if they complete the unit by the deadline they get to have a free choice cook next lesson.
    If they fail automatic detention into afterschool catch up time and no free choice cook option
    A3 chart on wall showing how each student is doing against everyone else.
    We do use exempla material but only have it out when begining the next unit of work so they can see / get an idea of what is expected - thus avoiding the copying issue
    HTH
    OJ

12. out of curiosity just how many of us have recieved lower marks than expected with aqa resistant materials this yr? ours were awful in comparison to previous yrs and the schools average. we have appealed the aqa but they just said they will send a senior moderator and will be in touch shortly.

13. never appealed before. Do they redo all coursework + exam or just exam if that's the part you queried?

14. We do AQA across D&T. Our results have been excellent this year - approx 70% of our pupils take one d&t. We're just a middle of the road Comp. but this year we have seen approx 85% A-C in food, 100% in textiles, about 72% in RM and 60 something in graphics. I had a bottom set food group with just 1 D - the rest a-c. The residuals are looking very positive. I'm not gloating - just very proud of my pupils. Also marked AQA food. Personally, i thought the marks were given away and verged on insulting the subject with lack of knowledge application!

15. I use AQA. The EP results were fine but the Graphics appalling! I can never get this one right: attend every course and use every bit of AQA guidance but still the outcomes never seem to be what they want. 3D or not 3D? This year all the 2D make elements were basically discarded by the moderator .... so no more business cards, promotional leaflets, flyers, posters, etc... This is how far out is was ...... my predicted A* got a C and my predicted E got a C. I can never fathom the GP out ...... the files were great in many cases; had it been Food they would have sailed through as who scutinises the Food outcomes beyond a photo! I can't find a solid core of teachable and testeable knowledge in GP ..... it seems to have little rationale or substance .... so it will have to be dropped; pity because it was OK once.

This always seems to be the time of year; just before you go back, when you need to pick yourself up off the floor after a results kicking and do it all again.

16. we also do AQA - our electronics were low but GP line. RM similar to what we expected and Textiles higher. Averaged 53% A-C as a dept. Anyone know where we can get a national picture on DT scores - have tried to find out but no success yet!

17. Aeros - just re-read your post. Our GP produce the flyers, posters and business cards etc for 2d but we also produce 3d points of sale stands and some students produce a frontage for their business. (We make shops, coffee houses etc). Moderator this year thought products were good - guess it depends on the moderators!

18. I think your last comment may sum it up ..... depends on the moderator. I've done GP for three years now ..... plenty of years teaching; mostly doing EP, Systems and RM. First year i did pretty much what you do .... plenty of 3D; but the (ageing)moderator said don't do except as an extra of they have time. Next year it was, " ........ OK to do some 3D but support with plenty of 2D stuff. This year drop the 2D ........ I just wish they would debate this at their meetings ... or talk to teachers as they seem so arrogant. But ..... at the end of the day I would like some consistency.

19. Our kids find the exam part the hardest. Any advice on how you get the theory to sink in. How does everybody structure the theory side of things?