1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low fat veggie recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gorgybaby, Dec 31, 2010.

1. I lost some weight last year and have now put some back on, and am starting to diet in the new year. Sorry I know diet talk is boring but I do need to do it. Trouble is, I really like all the bad things. I am quite a conservative eater and find myself eating the same thing all the time. Pasta with my own sauce is a favourite for tea, I really struggle to find other things to eat as I am so picky. Being veggie doesn't help at all. If anyone could share any low-fat recipes I would be really grateful, please.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Things I enjoy when slimming (and when not!):
    Mushroom risotto
    stir fries with or without tofu
    homemade falafel
    mushrooms/ tofu in black bean sauce
    veggie curries with chapattis
    bean salad with tuna (ok, not veggie but you could substitute)
    frittata

What sort of food do you like (other than pasta?)- it would help to know this before typing up recipes.

3. May I recommend Rose Elliot's Bean Book?
    http://www.amazon.com/Bean-Book-Rose-Elliot/dp/0722539479/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293971196&sr=1-9
    The US site has a look inside. The UK site does carry it!
    An oldie but a goody.
    I'm on my second copy. 100% veggie sister nicked my first one.
    We had a discussion about it a while ago
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/427017.aspx?PageIndex=1

DO NOT BUY her low carb veggie book. I have a copy that I will never ever use - it is awful! And I never thought I'd say that about her books.
    If you DO want it pm me and you can have it for free! It will be Freegled in the next couple of weeks!

4. Si N. Tiffick

I'm not a subscriber to the latest low carb fad. I lost a huge amount of weight (6 stone) a few years back, by eating a healthy balanced diet i.e. plenty veg and unprocessed carbs, not cutting out anything (red meat or carbs or dairy or whatever the latest fad is). I've always eaten plenty of bread, rice, potatoes as they fill me up- very important when losing weight as any fatty or former fatty knows!
    I was a veggie for many years and piled on the weight during that time- mostly from eating too much cheese!

5. Thanks everyone. Like you, Si, I am better with carbs, and I like feeling full - I need to avoid butter really, that is one of my main things. I do use low fat cheese, an am used now to having about 30g low-fat cheese on pasta with tom sauce, that is fine as everything else is low cal. I am not eating bread because I make my own and it is fatal.
    I like root veg, not keen on squash, quite good with green veg. I make my own hummous - yum and don't eat beans that much, but will try! Love mushrooms. When dieting I have some choc most days, as my evening treat. AS long as I can fit that into my calories it is fine. I don't really drink, so that is not an issue, and it means I can eat more!

6. For lunch we had butternut squash. Cut it in half lengthways and rosat it. Fry dice leeks, onoins or shallts and add a bag of spinach. Scoop out the seeds of the butternut squash and scoop the cooked flesh out carefully and add to the onions and spinach then mix in some cubes of cheese just before spooning the mixture back into the butternut squash skin. (sprinkle with pinenuts or sunflowers) and put the butternuts back in the oven to melt the cheese.
    This is nice with blue cheeses, whatever I want to use up. the cheese can be low fat it just makes a diferent texture from the spinach and the butternut.
    Or try a ratatouille. Put any veg you like through a food processor to slice it. Cook it gently in saucepan with a tin of tomatoes( no other liquid needed). When cooked pour into a casserole dish, wash the processor out and make a breadcrumbs from a couple of slices of bread and add some cheese. chop it up finely and spoon onto the top of the vegetables. Place it under the grill to crisp up
    will think of some more.

7. Si N. Tiffick

I remember the leader at Weightwatchers telling us how evil bread was- that it soaks up water or somesuch non-scientific twaddle. I have long suspected that it isn't the bread, so much as what people spread on it, that's the problem. It is really easy to blow a huge no of calories on butter or spread without realising it.
    When I'm trying to lose weight, I don't buy cheese- not because it's "bad" but because I am- I'm utterly incapable of exercising moderation around a block of cheese!

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have quite a few veggie friends so when they come over I make a chickpea, spinach and cashew nut korma with pilaff (recipe below). I found the recipe in a 'diet'-type book and have adapted it slightly. What I love about it is that it's quick, tasty and full of 'good' foods which can make you feel quite virtuous!
    for the rice:
    200g basmati rice
    pinch of salt
    5 curry keaves
    1 cinnamon stick
    pinch of saffron if you have it
    for the curry:
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
    1 tbsp korma curry paste
    200ml light coconut milk
    1 400g tin of chickpeas (drain them and reserve the liquid)
    200g washed and ready to use spinach
    90g cashew nuts
    Place all the rice ingredients in a man and cover with enough water to come 1cm over the top of the rice. Bring to the boil and simmer covered for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave covered until korma sauce is ready (DO NOT REMOVE THE LID UNTIL THE KORMA IS READY!)
    While the rice is cooking, place the onion in a large pan (non-stick if you have it) with the liquid from the chickpeas and the grated ginger. Bring this to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and gently cook for another 2-3 minutes until all of the water has evaporated. Add the curry paste and cook off for a further 1-2 minutes, then stir in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Then add the chickpeas, spinach and cashew nuts and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Remove the cinnamon stick from the rice and fork it through before serving with the curry.
    I sometimes swap the rice for a naan bread and side salad which still gives you the carbs!

9. Thanks ever so much. Not keen on curry unfortunately but I will try. Ajvar, CQ - wass ist das? I looked it up but what could I use instead?

10. Ajvar is basically a paprika paste thing, sometimes a paprika/aubergine mix - a bit like tom puree.
    It is readily available here in Germany, we have a mild version and a hot, hot, hot version - I am not sure about the UK (although I am sure supermarkets must stock it) but don't despair - I am sure Pobs has a recipe for it!
    If you cannot get hold of ajvar, you can easily replace it with tom puree.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajvar