1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

low fat / heathy cakes - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grandelf, Mar 29, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

A simple question really, Looking to bake a cake this weekend. But when I look at the cal continents of a cake it is worrying as I am losing weight and dont want to blow it by eating a high 'fat cake'. But want to cook one as a treat.

Any ideas? I dont mind buying stuff in to cook it, as always looking for an experiment.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

These satisfy my cake craving when I'm dieting, but they are truly virtuous:
    <font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">CARROT AND COURGETTE MUFFINS</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">makes approx 12-14 cakes in fairy cake cases or 10 in muffin cases</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">40g/ 1.5 oz walnuts, roughly chopped</font><font size="2" face="Arial">100g/ 3.5 oz plain flour</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/2 tsp baking powder</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/4 tsp bicarb of soda</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/2 tsp ground cinnamon</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/2 tsp ground mixed spice</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1/2 tsp ground ginger</font><font size="2" face="Arial">1 medium egg</font><font size="2" face="Arial">100g/ 3.5 oz soft brown sugar</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2 tbs olive oil</font><font size="2" face="Arial">125g/ 4.5 oz grated carrot</font><font size="2" face="Arial">100g/ 3.5 oz courgette, peeled and grated</font><font size="2" face="Arial">40g/ 1.5 oz sultanas (recipe calls for choc drops but I use sultanas instead)</font><font size="2" face="Arial"></font><font size="2" face="Arial">1. Preheat oven to gas 5/ 190C/ Fan oven 170C</font><font size="2" face="Arial">2. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb, spices.</font><font size="2" face="Arial">3. In a separate bowl, whisk togehter the egg & sugar until pale and thick. </font>Gradually beat in the oil, a drop at a time, then fold in the dry ingredients, veg, fruit and nuts.
    4. Line muffin pans with paper cases and divide mixture between the cases.
    5. Bake for 12-15 mins.

These are best eaten the same day they are made- otherwise they get a bit sticky on top (still yummy!)

Also have a look at Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache for inspiration- oodles of good-for-you cakes.

3. Si N. Tiffick

oh heck- why does it do that????[​IMG]

4. Si N. Tiffick

Another courgetty one:

This loaf cake is an unusual way to use courgettes and makes a great snack,
    teatime treat or even an unusual breakfast. It can be eaten straight from
    the fridge, or toasted, and is extra delicious with a generous spreading of
    butter.

Ingredients
    3 eggs
    275ml/9fl oz sunflower oil
    350g/12oz caster sugar
    350g/12oz courgettes , peeled and grated
    165g/5&frac12;oz plain flour
    165g/5&frac12;oz buckwheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tbsp ground cinnamon
    175g/6oz raisins
    150g/5oz walnuts, chopped

Makes 2 x 900g/2lb loaves

Method
    1.Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 900g/2lb
    loaf tins with greased greaseproof paper.
    2. Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix well to make a
    thick batter. Pour into the prepared tins.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for about one hour or until the loaves are
    firm and a fine skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool the
    cakes a little before turning out and leaving to cool completely on a wire
    rack.
    4. Store in the fridge and use within a week or freeze and defrost when
    needed.

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Aha you need this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Velvet-Chocolate-Heartache-feel-good/dp/0593062361/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301419993&sr=1-1

I love her ginger cake and the carrot cake in particular. My Oh is getting used to cakes made with butternut squash etc.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thanks for the idea so far!

just seems wrong in my head using veggies in cakes [​IMG]

7. Si N. Tiffick

Ha, Plymouthmaid- great minds think alike!

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I can't be faffed to go and look at the packet of fruisana I've got but I do know that fructose is metabolised more slowly than normal sugar and it tastes sweeter (so you need less), does that help?

Do you want low fat or low calorie cake elfie? Low fat usually means there's more sugar to compensate (you may as well eat a smaller piece of normal cake).

9. And THAT is all you need to know!
    All the rest, including sugar metabolism, is mainly advertising hype. The differences are miniscule if measured per portion!
    So eat whatever you like, just watch the portion size! And THAT is the best 'diet' advice (with the obvious caveat of don't live on lard, or similarly daft ideas - balance is all).

10. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Thank you [​IMG]

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

low calorie.
    The eating a better size is the 'diet' I am currently following!

12. Go for plainer cakes, no icing, drizzle etc.
    Something that lasts well. I make Anglesey cake from an old recipe that has butter not lard and 1 tablespoon of treacle and less sugar than the versions I find on Google.
    Other plain sponge cakes with or without fruit are also good and keep well.
    http://www.honeyrecipes.org.uk/Cakes.html
    Has lots of good keeping cakes.

13. Marshy and Pobs are right - low fat usually means more sugar, so it is a vicious circle.
    Portion size is the key [​IMG]

14. The only way I can get the portion size right is if I were to bake a cake and invite 8 people to share it. Otherwise...........I scoff the lot, with mr C's help, I'm not THAT greedy
    Total abstinence for me [​IMG]

15. I give the rest to my kids to take in and share with their classmates [​IMG]
    Or I take it in to work and let my colleagues scoff it.

16. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

oh must say, the carrot and courgette cakes worked well, enjoyed them
    Would make a few tweaks, such as grind up the walnut more, add a bit more ginger etc. But for a 1st try I enjoyed it. Now i have the basic stuff in (baking soda etc) I will keep playing around.

Worked it out they came in at about 100cal per cake/mini muffin

17. The other approach is just to use less sugar - I find many cake recipes too sweet anyway. Reducing the stated sugar by about a third makes little difference to many recipes. In some I've cut it by half, and enjoyed it more.