1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low fat every day or full fat once a week?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, Nov 5, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I prefer the latter.

I'm thinking about stuff like yoghourt.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

But if you go low fat you fairly quickly don't ever want full fat. It feels too rich.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Not necessarily - I use full-fat greek yoghourt in indian coking. The thin stuff is a meagre substitute.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

With yoghurt I prefer full fat but control the portion size. With milk, Mr BS and I are both now used to skimmed in tea and coffee.

nizebaby likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I prefer skimmed in tea but full-fat in coffee. Never get to have it though, as we we don't buy it

BelleDuJour likes this.
  6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We buy full fat everything. As long as you're not consuming pints of the stuff daily, then it doesn't make much difference. There's not a vast amount, calorifically, between whole milk and semi-skimmed, and there's been research lately that suggests that whole milk is better for you, generally, than skimmed milk. And skimmed milk is vile.

As with everything, I think it's far better for the mind, body and soul to eat full fat versions of such things, but smaller portions and not every day. Obviously, most drink milk every day, but given the amount used in hot drinks, which is where most use it, it won't really be a significant amount.

nizebaby likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I couldn't agree more. I drink half a pint of milk a day in tea, and for tea I prefer the thinness of skimmed milk. When I use milk for anything else, I buy full-fat, Sadly, it's not worth buying for the one cup of coffee I drink each day.
    It worries me that very young children are missing out on the goodness of whole milk on the grounds that they might get fat.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We recently went for dinner chez old friends, both good cooks. They did madhur jaffrey's delicious kashmiri rogan josh, which uses 25 fluid ounces of whole-fat yoghourt. They reached reflexively for low-fat, and the result was nowhere near as yummy as it should have been. The irony is that there was a cheese course, which was completely out of place and more than made up for the missing fat in the rogan josh!

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No. Not really.
    We use semi skimmed milk but make our own full fat Greek yoghurt.
    I don't like full fat milk in tea, but I don't like low fat yoghurt!
    We eat butter, not low fat spread, but only a little.

nizebaby likes this.
  10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We used to drink semi skimmed milk but when M was little and had progressed onto cows' milk, we thought it seemed silly to buy two types of milk so switched to full fat ourselves. Very quickly got used to it, and after since discovering that full fat isn't the devil (and is only about 3.5% fat anyway), we've stuck with it as it's far nicer. Even got used to it in tea.

Whole milk is pretty good stuff. Lots of good things in it for you. That it's bad for you is something of a misconception that seems to be forever perpetuated.

We don't eat a vast amount of yoghurt but when we do, it's the full fat stuff. Full fat Greek yoghurt is delicious!

nizebaby likes this.
  11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Belle, do you strain the yoghurt? What did you use to start it off?