1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low cost, bargain price, last minute holidays - where are they!!??

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Oct 4, 2018.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Having now retired, one of the things I thought I would be able to do would be to find, fairly easily, very cheap holidays which are out of season and, in particular, last minute.

However, try as I might, I can't seem to find them. What I mean by this is that, although they are cheaper than the school holidays, they are still relatively expensive.

Examples:
    • Jet2 sent me an email lauding a variety of flights quoted as being e.g. 'from £50 to Gran Canaria'. Needless to say that, when I went to the site and put in various dates, it came up as around £200+
    • AirBnB. I want to travel to Oxford to see my son and his family next week. I looked at AirBnB with the idea of dropping in to the Cotswolds on the way back for a couple of nights. Most half decent places in Bourton on the Water and Broadway were still around £70 a night +
    So, to all you seasoned, retired travellers, is there anywhere in particular, any websites, which you recommend for finding some bargains?

Any suggestions welcome:);)

2. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I've just looked up Scottish half term breaks for October and they range between the 8th to the 26th this year - perhaps that might have some bearing on the price hike, if those are the dates you are considering?

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Find cheap flights on Skyscanner. We're off to Barcelona in December. Two return flights for under £150 with Vueling. Jet2 wanted £300.

stopwatch likes this.
  4. Dunteachin

Double post.

stopwatch likes this.
  5. Dunteachin

Triple post!

sparkleghirl and stopwatch like this.
  6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

.... and how about rentals? One thing I would like to do is 1 month or more. I have read a lot of comments on this forum about retirees taking advantage of cheap long term (or even short term) rentals.

Any suggestions?
    I have just discovered this site a few days ago and it does look very promising from a flights perspective.

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"Jet2 sent me an email"

Block them. They send all sorts of non-existent offers and are notorious for it. Skyscanner is just as bad - lots of heavy marketing with loads of thoroughly unrealistic flights. The only way to identify bargains is to trawl though airlines' websites yourself and don't immediately dismiss flying to obscure airports. I realised a while back that once flying to this place I'd never heard of in Poland, I was just a 45 minute bus ride away from great skiing! I can be skiing in about 6 hours from my front door in a great town with perfect facilities for my level and it's cheap! You can find the names of airlines (many obscure ones) by searching the arrivals and departures pages of any airport. Then it is just a case of looking.

I'll make a plug for Wizz Air, though. Lots of cheapy flights all the time, an extensive network and so far, reliable. See their website.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    emerald52 likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

WizzAir website is awful. It wouldn't let me check in at home and then wanted to charge £60 odd for checking in at the desk. Apparently I should have photographed the black screen or phoned them. At £1+ / minute I don't think so. I finally shamed the chap into accepting that I was telling the truth and issuing the boarding passes.

The plane was fine, but the food weird.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I agree re: Skyscanner.

And don't forget Travelzoo.

Also for cruises: Imagine Cruising.

We have booked a couple of good holidays through Fleetway, and another couple through Inspired Luxury Escapes.

10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I was going to suggest Travelzoo too, offers coming through regularly.

I look at Iglu for cruises

Universityrooms is a good place to book halls of residence accommodation and some is available during term-time. Usually there are double ensuite rooms available too. Some interesting places - we stayed in a monastery once - and you meet a variety of people. Some of the London halls are great.

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Tomorrow I am flying to the UK on Ryanair (assuming they are not on strike). A hotel for the night, return flights and car hire for three days, all for less than 200 euros. On the other hand, maybe I will spend the next week stuck at Stansted...

12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"but the food weird"

Yukkk!

Why does anyone buy grossly overpriced junk food and drink of unknown and dubious origins on a budget airline flight? Can't you just eat your own snack before boarding, and then do without for three hours?

catmother likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If only life worked out like that every time :).

14. Dunteachin

Ok, so that's 3 nights in Barcelona in December booked. I was spoilt for choice for hotels, but, after much trawling through Trip Advisor, have picked a good 'un (I hope!), with rave reviews. In the old part - we didn't want to be near the madness of Las Ramblas...

Skyscanner is great for spotting when the cheapest flights are and the timings, but you have to then go to the airline's website.

The Hippo! What?! You are gracing the UK with your presence?

*thud*

15. Dunteachin

Binaryhex, I usually get a meal deal from Boots, depending on the time of day. My last flight was at 7am and I needed breakfast!

The number of people boozing in departures at daft o'clock beggars belief!

sparkleghirl likes this.
  16. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I hear Bulgaria is cheap..

17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Does anyone know anyone who retired to Bulgaria?

sparkleghirl, catmother and lindenlea like this.
  18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Yes. I stay in London Halls when I visit. I’ve been to Trinity Dublin as well. Looking forward to Oxford Cambridge and Durham next year.

19. LORRYW

LORRYW New commenter

Holiday Pirates is an excellent site. They have a huge variety of last minute holidays from across the board. . Also check Tui and Thomas Cook websites and press the last minute holidays option. They also have some excellent deals if you can go within the next few weeks.

stopwatch likes this.
  20. LORRYW

LORRYW New commenter

Just looked on Holiday Pirates and they have a week in Menorca for £85!

stopwatch likes this.