1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low Carb & Dairy Free Cooking

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by catherinaaa, Nov 5, 2011.

1. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I know some people on here also follow low carb diets or have to eat gluten or dairy free. Thought we could start off a list of recipes and ideas that would stick to this.
    I will start with my cheat "Mash Potato".I say it is a cheat, as I am not allowed any kind of potato on my diet, but this has such a small amount I'm sure it can't be that bad ;-)
    Take a small sweet potato, peel and chop into small-ish pieces. Place in saucepan about 1/2 full of water. Add 3/4 of a cup of mung lentils, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain away any excess water, add a **** of coconut oil (comes as a solid) and a spoon of rice cream and mash well. If it needs thickening, add a small amount of coconut flour. and mix well Serves 2.

2. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I know some people on here also follow low carb diets or have to eat gluten or dairy free. Thought we could start off a list of recipes and ideas that would stick to this.
    I will start with my cheat "Mash Potato".I say it is a cheat, as I am not allowed any kind of potato on my diet, but this has such a small amount I'm sure it can't be that bad ;-)
    Take a small sweet potato, peel and chop into small-ish pieces. Place in saucepan about 1/2 full of water. Add 3/4 of a cup of mung lentils, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain away any excess water, add a **** of coconut oil (comes as a solid) and a spoon of rice cream and mash well. If it needs thickening, add a small amount of coconut flour. and mix well Serves 2.

3. curry recipe looks good. Although i would leave out the coconut oil, tofu and rice cream.
    I made a mash this weekend with potato and celeriac. I mashed it with some of the water and added mustard and chili. It was delicious. The second meal I added finely chopped cooked kale to the mix and made potato cakes which I cooked in a pan and had with coleslaw.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

This is a base recipe for dairy-free pancakes which I make for vegan friends. You can use them as sweet or savoury pancakes - makes about 8 pancakes.
    Sift 140g of SR flour and 1tsp soya flour into a bowl and whisk with 400ml of soya milk. Make the pancakes in the usual way using vegetable oil to fry the pancakes in - use about 3tbsp of batter per pancake.