1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low calorie lunches for school

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lillipad, Jan 1, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I need some inspiration. Last term I lived on premixed tuna mayo and crackers.... And have had enough of that to last me a lifetime, I need something tasty and appealing for lunch that is going to support my attempts at weight loss.

I'm not a fan of soup at all, so would like some different suggestions. I should also add i'm not too keen on salad at this time of year as it can be too cold! Help!! lol

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Flat wraps, filled with loads of veggies and rolled up.
    A veggie frittata - can be sliced and eaten cold or reheated in a microwave.
    Wholewheat pasta with tomato sauce...maybe a quorn sausage cut up in it...again can be eaten hot or cold.
    A baked potato (easy on the butter, cheese and sour cream!.......go for baked beans!)...if you have a microwave at school (skin doesn't go crispy, but it is edible!)
    Mixed bean salad - non oily dressing.

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i had a lot of wraps till i discovered they were 175 calories each.
    moved on to muesli with pouring yoghurt, some microwave casserole pots, and stuff. a bit dull. need to think about it more.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Don't focus so much on it being a lunch. If you've had a good meal the night before, take the left overs for lunch.

Could you have salad with a warmed up potato?
    Could you keep your soup chunky so it's more of a stew?

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Make up some nice salad dressing and keep it in a bottle in your staffroom fridge.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's not a lot of calories for a lunch if you add very low carb/fat fillings and maybe an apple for pudding. Mind you, I don't like wraps. They're often sad, flaccid things. Two slices of decent bread with a tiny scrape of butter [NO spreads!] are lovely with the right things between them.
    Why does that sound so suggestive? It wasn't meant to.

7. emilystrange

depends how many wraps you have [​IMG]
    i cant help it, i love the bread part more than the other bits. something i may have to cut down a bit.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My standard diet lunch is reduced fat houmous, ryvita and cherry tomatoes. It's a bit boring and hardly warm but I have lost a lot of weight on it.
    For hot food that will help you lose weight the best suggestion would be veggie soups. Do you really hate them all? Home-made is very different from the stuff in tins. Use roasted veg for a wonderful sweet and concentrated flavour.
    Otherwise I would recommend making a risotto/savoury rice with lots of veg and really tasty stock. Again you could add cubes of roasted veg.

9. Houmous and oatcakes for me!
    Soup is another good option. Roasted peppers are especially tasty. Soup made with a pulse (lentils, yellow split peas), veg and a potato or two to thicken is really easy to do and a big pot will last you for days.

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yeah I've got stuck in a loop of tuna and crackerbreads with a kit kat and an apple! But now the new term is dawning, I just can't face it anymore! I like things that are easy and don't require preparation in the morning, so can just grab them and go! I'm not great at cooking extras, particularly at the moment as i'm trying to eat healthy so am having a lot of jacket potatoes for dinner! hmmm.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Don;'t want to sound like a killjoy but you should tyhink about ditching the kitkat

12. emilystrange

i've just discovered that smoked salmon pate is only 135 cals per half pot, and i could never eat that much in one go so i got some for lunch. and some light rye bread to put it on. nom nom...

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Doh. The kitkat is the only thing I look forward to all morning!

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

There are 'only' 107 calories in a 2-finger KitKat.
    (There are 233 in a 4-finger bar....more than double because of the extra chocolate!)
    It's a reasonable treat to have with lunch....
    However, if you've been having tuna mayo on crackers and a kitkat...you need to look at more fruit/veg too!

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I do usually have fruit with that too... And some fruit at playtime so its not totally unhealthy! I just wanted some alternatives to tuna! Arrrgh