1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low aspirations

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Lalex123, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Low aspirations is further encouraged by the spoon feeding to ensure exam passes demanded by the data machine. A lot of students never find out what it is to work independently. Cheating on coursework by schools has led to coursework being banned. Grade boundaries have been reduced to pump up the results so that government ministers can go on breakfast tv and brag about record university entries. 51% for an A is laughable.
    Even with the grade boundary manipulation A level results are down. I suspect that the government would have liked to have reduced grade boundaries further but someone somewhere pointed out that there would have been public outcry. The person who leaked the grade boundaries is a national hero in my opinion.
    Pressuring teachers to take responsibility for the lack of student effort by threatening capability at every turn and then paying poorly and then adding more workload has led to an exodus of the experienced teachers. Reap as ye sow.

tenpast7, bevdex, lanokia and 3 others like this.
  3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Not in mine. The press just want another reason to be negative about education in the UK. This fool has added fuel to fire. Meanwhile the national disasters that is Brexit edges ever closer. The press want anything else to distract from their paymasters chosen government showing their incompetence.

Indeed, I quite agree.

These articles always gloss over how people got to rich if it is inconvenient. Clarkeson was born into money as was Branson. And Branson defrauded the taxman when he started out.

And for crying out loud, why is an E at A level being cited as a fail?

Quote "Jake Humphrey failed across the board in his A-levels, picking up an E, N and U."

More craap writing.

All these articles misunderstand the nature of A in A level. It stands for Advanced. It is not for everyone and whilst the candidates that were entered had a lower pass boundary I suggest that most of the general population would not do so well even with two years of study.

It is not the aspirations of the teachers and students that was low.
    The grade boundaries set by the exam board were low, because they made the questions on the papers so much more involved than the specimen papers and the text books.

Associating low aspirations to students and/or teachers is yet another example of transferral.

Laphroig and phlogiston like this.
  4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I hear you. This corruption of what is success hit the mainstream with Thatcher. Her poisonous government pushed forward with "greed is good" ideology. This is not mainstream with "success" as being rich.

The media have a lot to answer for as they have systematically undermined the stability of society and now school kids today have this delusion that they pick up a mike and become a rich singer, or kick a ball and they will be next grossly overpaid fotballer.

The article that you have posted is just another swipe at education, in a 'John Holt'-esque manner. As these misguided individuals can write their poop because they were taught to write at school (mostly).

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

"Low aspirations" - this could well explain how Britain has ended up with a person like Mr Johnson as Prime Minister.

Laphroig, afterdark and phlogiston like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Not much point in getting hot under the collar about things you can't change.
    A levels are not the only predictor of success. If you have talent of the sort that cannot be assessed by A levels, and can find the chance to use these talents, you can succeed. It helps if you have some money to get you started.

install likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I read this Tweet yesterday:

I left school before taking O & A Levels. I got a job as an insurance clerk but was later made redundant. I went to a Further Education College, aged 25, passed A Levels and ended up at posh Balliol College, Oxford. You can recover if your A level results disappoint you

This was written by an excellent historian - Prof. Frank McDonough:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McDonough

agathamorse likes this.
  8. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

There are always going to be happy exceptions, but it's a good deal harder to take the academic route later in life. Was Professor McDonough married or did he have children when he went through the system? I imagine not.

On reflection, I think certain aspects of Curriculum 2000 would be worth reintroducing. Regular, modular exams give relatively frequent feedback and they help keep up tempo. That would enhance the experience of those precious years.

install and phlogiston like this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you Tweet him, he may tell you! ;)

I'm sure he is far from unique, and - when I saw that Tweet yesterday - I was reminded that I used several books/articles on Germany by him when teaching A level History. But I never knew his 'back story'.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

It's a lot harder to go back and get A-levels later than it used to be. Night school has all but disappeared and often students over 19 have to pay.

agathamorse likes this.