1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low ability Y5 Literacy - Adventure genre

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ACRoss, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I teach a low ability year 5 set Literacy and am trying to plan for a 4-5 week block on adventure stories. What I'm finding is that many adventure texts cross with fantasy or science -fiction but I would like classic adventure.

I was thinking of using Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz as it's a fast paced action/adventure story that would appeal, in particular, to the boys. However, some of the class are quite immature and I fear it may be just a little too 'old' for them, not even considering the actual physical reading of it! I also note that the book is often used in Y6/Y7/Y8 so maybe I am being too ambitious for my LA Y5.

I have thought about using Stig of the Dump and Treasure Island but having never read these (sorry!) I'm not sure how 'adventurous' or age suitable they are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for adventure stories suitable for Y5? Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. Stig of the dump is great!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Thank you! The reading list is very helpful.