1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Low ability music class KS3 Help!

Discussion in 'Music' started by piccolorosso, Jan 29, 2012.

1. I am an NQT and the sole music teacher at a small school.
    I take a small class (15) of 'low ability' Year 7's, most have BESD, SLD, MLD, severe autism and one pupil is deaf.
    However some pupils in the class who have behaviour issues happen to be very good at music - can play chords, melodies on one or two instruments and pick songs up very easily.
    I am worried that I am not challenging all pupils and struggle to think of tasks for everyone. I worry about choosing different tasks as I don't want pupils to be singled out or feel different.
    Does anyone have any ideas for activities, starters, worksheets or just anything that may help!
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Same task, different roles!
    Can they manage small group performances? Would some sing while others played an accompaniment? Have you tried rhythm squares leading into African drumming?
    If you 've got chord players you could do some pop songs, rock and roll, the blues, reggea, calypso, rap, rennaissance music such as La Mourisque?
    Will the whole class sing? There is lots of good stuff in Singing Matters and on the sing-up web site!
    Sounds like you are almost being asked to do music therapy!

3. Have a look at the 'Songwriting And Compostion for KS3' video on my site here:
    http://www.rockandread.co.uk/free-education-resources
    I have found this exercise works well with a mixed ability group - it gives the strongest pupils the chance to compose melodies, chord progressions and lyrics. The weakest students are able to actively participate by playing percussion instruments, one finger riffs on the keyboard, or singing/shouting a refrain in the chorus.
    This is the first of a series of similar videos I have planned so I 'd appreciate any feedback...

4. Have you got particular topic areas in mind that you could do with ideas for? Otherwise general advice as above! Different ensemble roles/ differentiated parts are a great way in. How do you manage with listening and appraising as discrete activities? Or do you embed those skills in amongst the composing and performing work somehow?

5. That's a bit challenging to you as you are the only music teacher there. Observe what those students that have behaviour issues wants, that will allow you to catch their attention so that they'll somehow be interested in what you are teaching. How about a Camp Rock style?