1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loving tuition and wish I'd done it sooner...

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mrsmumbles, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Mornning all

Probably should have introduced myself sooner. Have spent the past eighteen months snarling and moaning about the evils of capability. I worked in a top school for fifteen years, so being suddenly told I was useless came as a bit of a shock. I managed to re establish myself as a tutor pretty quickly, and have been stunned by the demand for it, and the horror stories coming back to me on a weekly basis.

Christmas 2015 consisted of me feeling really stressed and ill. A few months later I would collapse and nearly die with an illness which was almost certainly triggered by the stress and bullying as it has lain dormant for decades and never caused a problem. Christmas 2016, however, is looking good. I've managed to get virtually all my lovely students through reccommenedation and Facebook, they have all made genuine progress, I'm back in the driving seat teaching interesting texts, and...the thank you presents! I'm stunned. In twenty years of a career, I've never had so many kind cards or gifts. Really impressed! Now all I have to do is get them all into their top choice schools!

Anyone else on here looking back on a recent career changed year as a tutor and thinking what a lucky escape they've just had?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

i left teaching to become a TA and have never been happier.

Having worked in woman's refuges, I have seen some similarities between abused woman and abused teachers. The relentless bullying from both SMT and from students, and the horrific work load can affect you so badly that you are left unable to find the energy and resolve to leave.

Other people say "you chose to stay" but in reality,the choice is taken away from you by the impact on your energy, self belief, mental state, and whole outlook on life.

It happened to many of my colleague when I was teaching, but I didn't really recognise it at the time, because i was in too deep myself.

Now, as an outsider, I am frequently sickened and horrified by the situation I regularly see teachers in. It is unacceptable, and inhumane, but you can't always make them see it, they say "the children need me to stay" and "I deserve this, I'm useless" and " its not all bad" exactly what you hear from abused women.

3. Mrsmumbles

This is so true. If a country's schools are a measure of the country's health, then England is in big trouble. Teachers used to be respected and supported, kids knew they would be there for them, that very possibly their bigger brother or sister might have also been taught by them. There was continuity. Now, the fastvtrack bullying is so established, who the heck can guarantee job security? The government have really stuffed this one up.teachers were always a bit nomadic, often staying in post five or so years, then relocating to find that better job. But now...where are these or any jobs?! Without natural progression and relocations done with confidence, I see nothing but depressed and as you say traumatised staff, stuck in situ in exploited and stagnant careers. Tuition, meanwhile, is exploding with new IT revolutions and ideas, and the students have great enthusiasm for it. Now all we need is our own pension system!

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Can I ask what subjects you are teaching? Are you also tutoring 11+/entrance exams?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

I focus on Verbal, non verbal reasoning, and English. Lots of English! All ages. Well, actually, fromages six and up. I have total respect for primary teachers and have found teaching little ones so rewarding this year, but starting them off right at the very start..so hard! It has been great teaching them vocabulary, phonics and handwriting.

frangipani123 likes this.
  6. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Does this make you the Big Cheese? :D

[I'll get me coat ... ]

7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Move away from the sherry.

bevdex and Mrsmumbles like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Ha!! Oh dear, what a typo! I can spell, honestly, am just a terrible typist. One must face up to one's shortcomings and not be a Baby Bel about it...

9. Mrsmumbles

It's a Croft Original kind of time!

bevdex likes this.
  10. Educationalist2

Educationalist2 New commenter

@Mrsmumbles i m thinking of starting tuition and leaving teaching. Im an overseas qualified teacher in route to AO route to QTS but the stress is killing me!

Can you please teĺl me if you go to students house or they come to you?

Also is tutoring, financially feasible?
    Thanks!

11. Mrsmumbles

Tutoring is probably best done as a startup if you have another salary coming in from a partner/savings/live with parents or lodge. It takes about 6 months to get established.Not sure what AO route is, but yes I think you should stick it to get QTS - you could earn nearly 30 an hour more. Here in the UK, as schools are now utterly chaotic and failing, some kids with only A levels are offering tuition. Big mistake. You need to sort out tax, national insurance, public liability insurance, check the room you use, wherever it is, is safe...then it starts to pay well. I rent a church hall but know people who have worked at home. It's your decision. Tutoring is intensive and not easy. There are small group classes in the big cities which train kids for Common Entrance - but there is a lot of stress, you need to be ultra organised, and to know all the top entrance exam specifications inside out, so you deliver a product which trains kids to pass more than one exam. That would almost certainly need room hire costs as well, unless you had a big house you could use. I'd get qualified first.

12. Educationalist2

@Mrsmumbles thankyou so much for your in depth response. I wanted your input: me and husband will probably leave for dubai in 6 to 7 months. Do you think its feasible for me to start tutoring or do some other job? My partner works. Also, i wanted to ask if parents are willing to send their kids rather thn you going to them?

13. Educationalist2

Unfortunately i wont be able to do my QTS because of stress i have to resign :'( I do have a Bachelors degree, 1.5 year experience teaching here and 4 years abroad.

14. newageteacher

newageteacher New commenter

How do you get your students? I have tried tutoring using online agencies and have had lots of people look at my profile, but I have never had a single student purchase my details in over a year now. I wouldn't have thought parents would spend money on phonics and English myself. They can teach their own children phonics and English. I teach ESL/EFL as well as my main subject.There are just too many other tutors on these online agencies lists and it's touch and go whether you get a student even contact you. How do you get enough students to live?

15. vickycharlton

vickycharlton New commenter

I made the same leap in to tutoring around the same time as you and have never looked back!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. salubrious1

salubrious1 New commenter

Hi, who would you recommend for public liability insurance for private tutoring please?

17. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

I use Alan Boswell Group. It's about £124 a year.

18. Mrsmumbles

Yep, they are good. Shop around online.

19. never_expect_anything

never_expect_anything Occasional commenter

Due to changes in teaching over the last few decades, most parents seem to find phonics daunting and don't understand this method of teaching English, as it is not how they learnt to read and write when they were at school. Many parents therefore prefer to employ someone who explains things in a similar way to their child's school teacher. In my experience, those looking for phonics tuition are not searching for a tutor because they are unhappy with the teaching their child is receiving at school (which can be the case with older students), but rather just need extra support, as their child requires extra practice at home but they don't know how to provide the right opportunities.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

I'd upload all the documents rhe ask for, not having the PGCFE certificate might deter some but not all. Advertise locally in shops etc. Word of mouth is very good. If you're quixk you could get some Easter work. If you're relocating soon, however, parents won't want to use you for common entrance as they want the same coach right up to January