1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loving my SCITT but finding the PGCE Action Research Project almost impossible

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ByThePowerOfGreyskull, Dec 29, 2019.

1. ByThePowerOfGreyskull

ByThePowerOfGreyskull New commenter

Please can someone point me in the direction of an example action research project. I am covering intrinsic motivation and behaviour management so nothing to do with that.
    I am finding it almost impossible to know what to do. Our PGCE is distance learning from University of Greenwich alongside a SCITT and we are getting heaps of support for the SCITT and I am loving being in school 4 days a week.
    I have time to write the ARP I just don't know how! I had to submit a literature review which was rubbish. I have amended it for 2nd submission, although it is better it isn't critical enough. The problem this is just the literature review section, 700 words of the 4000!!!!
    I haven't ever seen an example of an action research project to gauge layout or feel. ARGH!!

It is 30 years since I did my degree and I don't want to fail now.
    Any help would be very appreciated.

2. Jenny257

Jenny257 New commenter

Have you asked your University for some examples? The distance Uni for the SCITT that I'm on has given us 3 examples of essays. Also they have recommended some books including 'Doing your research project: a guide for first time researchers' by Judith Bell and Stephen Waters and I'm reading that which is helping. I've read the book more than I've looked at the examples.

Marshall likes this.
  3. ByThePowerOfGreyskull

Thanks for your reply Jenny,
    When we have asked for further information they have given us paragraphs as examples.
    I am trying to keep going but am really regretting not just doing the SCITT.
    I have loved reading wider research about the subject, it has taught me so much.
    I have also enjoyed running my little experiment with the children in school (results were quite predictable in the time I had available).
    The whole write up side of things feels like swimming up hill.
    Am I going to be that student who is constantly asking for more help?

4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Were you given the title of the ARP or could you choose your own?

5. ByThePowerOfGreyskull

Hi Marshall,
    I chose my own subject as a result of practice I had seen within my placement classroom.
    I think I have found the holy grail, since my last posting my internet surfing has discovered an action research project. I have printed it, it is a totally different layout to my expectation. Thank goodness I found it!
    Also very pleased that the topic is relating to A'level mathematics, not primary school behaviour, taking away any accidental crossover.
    Marshall, are you currently studying?