1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lovely lovely "crappy" books

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Mrs Peel, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Apologies to any authors who might find their names included - but isn't it great when you find a super author who can spin a yarn in a nice easy to read style that entertains you in those 15 minute bits of reading you manage in bed before the book flops onto your face, waking you up, and you have to turn the light out!
    Recently I have found...
    (in the bargain-bin bit of Sainsbury's - oh the shame!)
    ...Tom Harper!
    Super stories - totally undemanding reading - really entertaining page-turning stuff and so much more well-written than the DaVinci Code et al
    Anf then there's Len Deighton - still need to get more into his spy novels but "WInter" is a great read
    And pretty much anything by Lindsay Davis - but I need another go at her civil war novel cos I put it down a couple of months ago and got distracted by some Marvel Graphic Novels
    (Yes they DO count! They are NOT comics!!)

So what other low-key, non-brainy or bargain-bucket authors have we enjoyed lately?

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I love historical whodunnits by Anne Perry, Peter Tremayne, Alys Clare etc - and then the vintage ones by Marjery Allingham, Georgette Heyer et al. Murder mysteries are great!

3. Haha Great idea for a thread...
    In the 'Bargain Bin' at Kobo I came across an author called Trisha Astley whose books are so predictible, sometimes have quite similar stories yet I loved every one! Think I'd even pay full price for one!!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Lidls had a 'special' on books just before Christmas...I picked up a Len Deighton (Ipcress File) and Mum got a Georgette Heyer (some historical romance - not sure which!)
    For a real indulgence in 'crappy' books you need a Kindle! I get the jungle search e-mails each day and they give you a list of free titles - some of which redefine '****'!

5. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

Is it bad that I love Danielle Steel books? I know they are 'crappy' but I can't help myself. I love to unwind with one after I've finished a more serious book - the last one I read relieved my brain after reading Anna Karenina.

6. Michael Crichton's Disclosure had me riveted. or was it just good?

7. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Oh no, don't tell me there are more! I thought it was all over and done with when I finished the last of the True Blood books and put it back in its box with the others, I don't want to be starting a whole new series!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Can I just say that one of the best features of the Kindle is that you can be sitting reading a, a, a book of low literary merit, and nobody knows.
    Should I admit this?
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

9. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

If you like Trisha Astley, you would probably also like Carole Matthews - very easy to read.

10. I can't help it..... I thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight books!!! [​IMG]