1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lovecraftian white paper injects reagent to 'College of Teaching' corpse

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

'Chapter 2: Great teachers – everywhere they’re needed

We will:

• [...]
    • Support the development of a high status, world-leading teaching profession by supporting the establishment of an independent College of Teaching;'

('Educational Excellence Everywhere', March 2016.)

Rejected by teachers, unable to meet its own funding goals, yet still this self-elected cabal of CPD providers, careerists and the easily-led is supported by the government.

Shedman likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

All teachers should simply ignore (or boycott) this...

3. Vince_Ulam

Overwhelmingly we did, by not pledging money to its crowdfund, yet still it shuffles on in a grim parody of vitality and common sense. However. you can easily imagine the government making membership a condition of teacher qualification.

Scintillant and delnon like this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I think that reading between the lines of the white paper this is what will happen!

5. FrankWolley

So if all (or a significant %) refuse to sign up, what will they do? Sack them all and close schools? Increase class size to 100+?

6. Vince_Ulam

If you're qualified, you're qualified, but kids will sign up, believing the lies and wanting to qualify.

7. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

That pointless poodle, the GTCE, resurrected, then. Presumably the "contributions" will be deducted from salaries at source, and the "College of Teaching" (not "Teachers", note) will be populated by the usual hangers-on and gravy-train passengers. If it does anything at all, it's fair to expect it will beat up the teachers.

Shedman likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

9. KYP

KYP New commenter

When I was teaching in a SFC, the IfL was imposed on us. We got free membership for a year, then were supposed to subscribe (or lose QTS!) Most of us ignored the requests/pleas/threats, and the IfL 'died'. Hopefully I will get to retirement before being forced to subscribe!

10. FrankWolley

cissy3, wanet, Shedman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Ladies & gentlemen, have at it: @bbcquestiontime.

Shedman and Scintillant like this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Jesus! @Vince_Ulam Have you seen the line up?

13. Vince_Ulam

Yes. Mark Littlewood will go for Nicky's throat, I expect.

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I remember membership of the late unlamented gtce was compulsory for state school teachers but optional for private school teachers. But with all schools now academies heads will employ who they want. College of teaching? No thanks.

15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

It was compulsory for supply teachers too, who however did not have their subscriptions even partly subsidised by the government. As for the "College of Teaching" - if it is just another top-down imposition, it will go the same way as the GTCE. And then it will be reborn under a new name, as the Grant Maintained Schools have been reborn as academies.

Because politicians never grow up.

cissy3 likes this.