1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Love the Art, Hate the Artist I The Art Assignment

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by AndrewvanZyl, Sep 7, 2018.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Published on Sep 6, 2018
    Can you separate the art from the artist? This one's In honor of all the art you used to love, and it's creators who ruined it by behaving badly. We talk Picasso, Nanette, cats out of bags, and much more.

2. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

Fantastic reminder for me to watch the other videos on this youtube user account.
    Some interesting points and I feel quite silly for not knowing about the allegation of sexual assault the Chuck Close has had. He is an artist who is often referred to in lessons in schools - is it our job as educators to enlighten our students, to show them that artists and people of fame or important are also human, they can do or say terrible things, be cruel and act inhumanely - or in contrast do such wonderful and good things benefiting humanity? Yes.
    Kind of makes me think about HG Wells and the articles published that have accused him of racism. Yet some of his ideas and stories are still interesting.
    Maybe this is nieve, but is it better to be open and honest, and bring up the fact that civilisation is not perfection, that each person has their flaws and wrongs and that can bleed or not bleed into their work. Sometimes artists are idolised or idealised, but we forget, they are people too, and people are not infallible.