1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

love teaching part time but struggling for money!! what shall I do?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Apr 27, 2012.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

How old are your children? Do you have grandparents nearby who could help with childcare at short notice if they are under 5?
    I expect you have already done the price comparison sites for bills/ insurance/ utilities, cut out luxuries from food shopping etc to keep costs down. Children's centres, libraries and playdates are free activites with little ones. I was spending £50 a term on baby music classes then thought, I could do this, so now I run 2 sessions a week which my daughter comes to and that earns me an extra £70-£100 a month (sometimes do parties etc too).
    How skint is skint- can you keep on top of bills and mortgage payments? Would you consider downsizing? I would be inclined to say that time with little children is more important than luxuries and you never get the time back. I teach 2 days a week on a permanent contract and love it, we have some money to spare for luxuries but I would never want to work full time for more money. Of course I appreciate that a lot of mums have to and they do a fantastic and very hard job.

2. What about exam marking? Could you apply to do that?