1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lotto

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Mar 1, 2016.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

A few misguided minutes ago, I foolishly decided to flush a pound sterling of my taxed income down the lavatory in the form of a free go on the lottery. How I repent this action.
    Please beat me soundly.

2. xena-warrior

I say "free" - it didn't seem like you could have the pound instead...

3. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

That's nothing: I once voted Tory. And I once voted Labour. Oh, the shame. :(

4. xena-warrior

I feel your pain. Whoever you vote for, they turn out to be s.hit, just like my lottery ticket

delnon and lexus300 like this.
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

So you know which party to vote for next, don't you?

6. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

As Billy Connolly once said "It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always get in."

Mangleworzle and Dragonlady30 like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My elderly residents tell me the Irish lottery is the one to do, because the odds are better and when you win, they send over a troupe of riverdancists to help you celebrate. We've got pictures of them on the walls, dancing with their Zimmer frames, amid the riverdance troupes and one even has has a couple shaking hands with Michael Flatulence.

Alf58 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What a very silly woman you are @xena-warrior
    Had you been on the pop?

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That's nothing, @xena-warrior . I once opened the door to and engaged in discussion with some Jehovah's Witnesses.

Time is money, it is said, and I wasted a great deal.

P.s., I was right though, the world didn't end the following Tuesday.

10. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Yes indeed; the Monster Raving Loony Party. Oh, hang on; that's just the Tories and Labour under a less dishonest name.
    Mm... tricky. Well, there's time to decide yet. And anyway, as the chances of anybody's vote actually counting are over 3:1 against, would it matter?

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I got a Lotto ticket on Saturday for the first time in years. I haven't checked it yet to discover if I would have had the same effect dropping down the grid outside the shop. I don't know why I did it. "Lotto" is a ripoff.

I have tried to sign up for that Health Lottery but it won't allow bank details to be entered, then expects you to phone a premium rate number like to register (so they can do one).

I don't understand the postcode lottery one. My entire street has the same postcode, so I assume it would be divvied up and I would get sod all, even if the code was picked.

I'll have to sell my body.

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No -they all have to have paid to be in it when your postcode is drawn! Most don't.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

But the chances are that a good number will have, hence the dosh is diminished. (Is that all you got out of my post?)

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ooh - was there a hidden code which tells of the winning Lotto numbers for the next draw?

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have been playing the lottery religiously since it started in 1994 using the same numbers and apart from the occasional 3 number win I am still here plodding away.

Give up some may say. However the minute I do you can bet that my numbers will come up. Now that would be a sickener!!

16. xena-warrior

And that is something I won't be forgiving Son2 for in a hurry. He used to get the occasional ticket before he went to University but asked me if I'd put his numbers on (it was only once a week then) while he was away. I suggested going halves but I only ever put lucky (hah!) dips on.

Of course, once I'd seen his numbers, I had to put the damn things on every week in case the one week I didn't, they came up.

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You. Got. Short and curlies. By. (please rearrange).