1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lottery win couple

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Congratulations to them! I'm not sure I'd have gone public but good luck to them, they seem a nice, sensible couple.
    I wonder why the other winner hasn't claimed his/her prize. That's a mystery!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd have kept schtum but all the best to them...

Hope it isn't a poisoned chalice...

Have the others not claimed or are they just not having their name put forward?

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

They don't have a clue! Publicity on that amount will make their lives a nightmare and they appear to have no comprehension of just how much money that is.

I don't think the other ticket has been claimed yet - it could still be you!

4. Dunteachin

I'd be terrified of my house being burgled, losing friends, the begging letters etc etc. They may well have to go into hiding. It's too much money. Mind blowing.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I don't know that it's too much, if you have imagination. You could enjoy doing an awful lot of good with it, as well as giving your friends and family security.

6. Dunteachin

Oh, I know, GL! In my head, I've already spent it!

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But it's £33 million! A couple of security guards would keep your house safe and a and a secretary would deal with unsolicited mail:rolleyes:

Seriously though, it is a daunting amount of money. I asked Wee Pees what we would do with it. Top answers were what we would NOT do:

1. We would stay in this house.
    2. No change of schools because they love them.
    3. Not spend too much or their friends might not like it.
    4. Not many more holidays (after an "at least we could go on more and posher holidays prompting from me) - or else the fun and looking foward to them wouldn't be the same.

So looks like the only change for us would be seriously lumpy mattresses:(.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but there was talk of the other ticket being sold in a supermarket in Bury. Aren't there stats to demonstrate areas of the country that have more winners?

We might stay in this house and buy holiday homes elsewhere as well. By the time you've sorted family, friends and decided on the charitable stuff, there might not be all that much left. It would be good to set up a foundation or something for a favourite charity. One of he girls in the sales office where we are, told of a Russian oligarch who purchased four of their London apartments to knock into one, for his mother who was coming to London for a fortnight for surgery. The apartments were, I think, about 4 million each, plus the cost of the alterations.

So there you are- that's half gone already!

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I would create a trust fund to provide the best possible private health or nursing care for any family member or future descendant who needed it (ie essential only, no nips, tucks etc), then donate a bit to charity. After that I'd get back to living my life, knowing the final chapter might be a bit more comfortable as a consequence.

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

If it was me, I'd so not be going on television to tell all the new friends I'm about to make and all the long lost relatives I'm about to meet about my good fortune and how I want to help people. I'd be changing my name to "Rock Strongbow" and moving far away.

aspensquiver likes this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think Hawick is pretty small and having told a family and friends it would be hard to keep a secret anyway.

I think people often say they will stay in the same house etc. until the enormity of the amount hits them. I like my house but I could easily spend a million on it making it perfect - and then I would need a few holiday homes!

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Financial services would do pretty well because I would need help sorting out trusts to make sure my family would benefit in the future. With one million I wouldn't move house but with a huge amount like 30million I'd be buying a new house here and property in the sun too.

14. Dunteachin

Their daughter is in Australia. I'd be on the next flight out there, never to return.

15. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You know their daughter?

Dunteachin likes this.
  16. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

I know a couple of people who have benefited from educational trusts set up by family members a few generations back.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I wondered if the Lottery people do a lot of coercion with the bigger jackpot winners, because - of course - it's great publicity for the Lottery itself. I cannot imagine why the winners themselves would go public, because it just ensures you're going to be (a) inundated with begging letters (but at least they can afford to employ someone to open their mail), (b) subject to at least one of those awful tabloid articles about some long-lost relative who feels entitled to a hand-out, despite having not bothered with the winners for years and (c) subject to a fair amount of tabloid digging for skeletons in your cupboard, etc.

wanet likes this.
  18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But with that amount of money, if it got really bad, you could simply disappear from attention!

19. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Because all your friends and neighbours think you have won the lottery when they see the new mondeo and hear you have a cleaner and one of them outs you to the Sun.

20. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

The significance of a Mondeo is what, exactly?