1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lots of questions! can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by LanaLogan, May 16, 2009.

1. Lana as a Sociology graduate with a PGCE from Keele, PM me if you still need some advice outside of these forum cretins who are currently repsonding to your fair questions.

2. I'm appalled by everybody in this thread quite frankly!
    a) Yes - if you want to go into teaching learn to spell
    b) If you are a teacher you think you could point this out without coming across as a pompous ****
    c) If you really want to teach Sociology get on the IOE Social Science PGCE course. It is not a post 16 course only and will train you for a secondary Key Stage 3 subject as well as GCSE and A-Level Sociology.
    d) Get your undergrad sorted first - you may well feel differently in a few years.

3. I agree that spelling and grammar are important, in the same way that the clothes you wear are important in conveying information. But they aren't everything. And one should always remember that some people, who write poorly, do so because English is not their first language. (Also the original post wasn't that bad!)

4. Ok, first of all, can everyone calm down a little on this. Those of us who responded initially are not the "pompous ****" or "forum cretins" or "bitter, nasty teachers who probably cannot teach or relate to the modern student".
    I take offence at this very personal tone. We did not resort to calling the OP names, we merely expect posts to contain punctuation to make them readable.What is wrong with having standards or expectations from the 'modern student'? As someone pointed out this is the real world, and not school. We do not have to pander to the needs and whims of this young woman, she has chosen to come on to a site that is for adults, not teenagers. She should AT LEAST use a full stop or a comma in her posts.
    I would prefer it if you did not call me a ******, **** or bitter and nasty. Those are very personal attacks, and I choose not to attack you back at such a personal level. I am an intelligent, capable talented teacher who is very successful in her career. I do not like lazy and sloppy posts and will continue to ask for them to be written with more thought and care. If that makes me a ****** or **** in your eyes, so be it. .

5. Oh, and those jumping to support the OP, some of us had 'met' her on another thread where she claims to be the daughter of 2 teachers.
    At least I think she did, as she wrote in impenetrable text speak, without punctuation and was quite 'in your face' there too!

As I said to OP, when asking for advice is it usual to be a little bit polite, or to expect a flea in your ear. Growing up means leaving behind childish ways and expectations of everyone bending over backwards to help regardless of your behaviour.

6. For a woman who repeatedly writes the word 'non' as 'none', you might not be in the best position to comment.

7. Mannwhitney - you need to take a read as usual.
    I didnt actually comment on the OP's spelling. I said I felt it could be better after several others commented and after the OP became abusive.
    I also answered her as follows and I was the first person to do so:
    Since your parents are both teachers , surely they would be more helpful than us?
    I cant predict four years time. I will say this though, in my experience getting a job as a sociology teacher is harder than getting one in other areas of social science. Most sociology teachers train as RE teachers or as citizenship/ PHSME teachers.
    Right now they are training loads of teachers and I doubt its going to get any less the case. Primary teaching is full to overflowing ( take a look at the unemployed teachers forum).
    Have you thought about doing a maths, chemistry or physics degree instead? Much more opportunity to teach those. Lots of English teachers though, so I wouldn't recommend that route.

But then mannwhitney you seem to be obsessed with my posts as opposed to those of others it seems. No other reason for making it my post you comment on in a mass of others saying the same is there?

8. Hi
    I'm not sure what everyones problem is on here so I'll try and help! I am coming to the end of a PGCE in social sciences at Manchester Met. There is definitely more than one course for social science in the country - ones I know of are Keele, MMU and one of the London Universities. There are loads of other courses for psychology and also the new society diploma. If you go to www.gttr.ac.uk and go on the course search you can have a browse as to which places do which course.
    Regarding the demand for teachers there isn't so much for straight sociology teachers, you would usually be expected to teach other subjects aswell e.g. psychology, politics, law. But there are quite a few jobs in these areas, especially if you are prepared to relocate.
    With regards to primary vs secondary you need to really think about what you want to do as they are very different. I would try and get some experience in both, maybe volunteering to help out. If you decide you want to go down the degree then PGCE route I would advise getting a joint honours degree e.g sociology and psychology, to make you more employable. Then while you are at Uni you need to get as much experience working with children as possible as the social science courses are very competitive to get on to. You might even need to take a year after you degree working as a teaching assistant to strengthen your application.
    Another thing to remember is that if you qualify at secondary level you are also qualifed to teach primary.
    I hope this helps

9. I really feel for you and the abuse you recieved. I personally only got told what was wrong with my english when I got to Masters level, because before then, any work I had marked was judged solely on content. SO ... I think it is the fault of the present teachers!
    The fact that you are thinking four years ahead is quite mature of you! I teach sociology, however I actually gained my PGCE in physical education, and worked as supply first. When the job came up, there was 8 applicants. When we interviewed last year for a second teacher there was good interest (but was advertised as sociology and psychology teacher). At the moment my college is advertising for my maternity cover, there is again very good interest (however according to my mananger, the standard is questionable!)
    hope this helps. Kate x

10. I apologise, I started the discussion on quality of English with a rather scratchy little post based on late night irritation rather than logic but it is not one I am inclined to withdraw. Much of the vitriol followed because the response from the OP was in much the same vein and was equally bad tempered, incoherent and much ruder. The nastiness that followed was only to be expected.
    It is slightly misleading to say that work is only judged on content and not on English. Quality of written communication is built into both GCSE and A level specification mark schemes. It is not just that, if people intend to be teachers, then they are at heart communicators and whilst all of us make errors in quick typing, and no-one is perfect, the OP does need to be aware that some attempt is necessary for politeness sake at least. If we don't make that point at least, then we are not doing her any favours.
    I don't understand what you are saying is the fault of current teachers, however. We take too much blame as it is. I still wish the OP good luck in her chosen choice of career; she may need it.

11. Ljay279

Ljay279 New commenter

By the way this thread was started by me four years ago. I since lost my log in details but here it goes. I am now on a PCET PCGE after completeing my Sociology degree sucessfully. It was found recently that I am incredibly dyslexic and this wasn't picked up by any of the teachers I had at school, or by my first univeristy. So I'm going to say this to all the negative vicious people on this thread. f*** YOU I did it without your *** help and did it sucessfully.

Rozario123 likes this.
  12. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

Hahaha! Good on yer!

13. Ljay279

Ljay279 New commenter

thanks, Im now a fully qualified teacher, teaching psychology and sociology in an outstanding school so even better!

14. Rozario123

Rozario123 New commenter

Just read this. Well done on becoming a teacher. I really didn't understand why some people were so nasty. You asked some good questions. I teach sociology as well!

Ljay279 likes this.