1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost voice - laryngitis?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by fantastischfish, May 16, 2015.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Hi everyone,

I've typing this here mainly because I haven't been able to speak a word for 4 days and this is the closest to communication I've come! Going mad!

Throat became sore whilst at work on Monday afternoon. Took paracetamol but by the end of the afternoon I was struggling.

I'm a supply teacher, currently on a day-to-day basis, but in one school for 4 days a week at the moment. I took Tuesday off, but still went to do my private tutoring sessions on Tuesday evening as my throat wasn't sore and voice was feeling fine after a day's rest. Had every intention of returning to work on Wednesday.

However, Wednesday morning, my voice was pretty weak. I've been working TONS of hours lately, so didn't see the problem with having one more day off. Lost of the pay, but worth it to make sure my voice was better. Felt physically fine, just the voice was weak.

Thursday, I'm off anyway, but felt absolutely terrible. Voice was completely gone. Forced to cancel 4 private tutoring sessions for that day. Friday, again, no voice all day. And today, still can't talk. Friday and today came the raging cold...chesty, mucus cough...nose streaming...not happy at all.

I've done the usual: gargling with salt water, then with soluble co-codamol; lozenges; cool drinks, warm drinks, no talking, cold remedies....voice still MIA.

Just a bit miserable really.

Also worried about the amount of money I'll be losing!

Just having a moan really.

Eva x xx

2. Jo Shmo

Jo Shmo New commenter

It sucks when we supply teachers get ill as we don't get sick pay. But I would rest your voice as much as you possibly can and possibly see your doctor. Also, keep your fluids way up.

Get well soon!

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Longer term, you could look at some voice training, so as not to strain your throat.

4. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately it is viral so it will go on it's own. Best thing to do us relax your voice as much as you can.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given this was posted nearly 4 years ago, I'm assuming the OP is now fully recovered!