1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost the plot!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by _missp, Aug 30, 2019.

1. _missp

_missp New commenter

Am I the only one who thinks that, as a whole, we seem to have lost the idea that the TEACHING and our relationship with the children should be the most important focus?!

Instead, it seems to me, we’ve become obsessed with what the classroom looks like, how wonderful the displays are etc.?! I understand it’s nice to have aesthetically pleasing classrooms but the impact on the learning comes from YOU!

Thoughts?!! X

lardylegs likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I am now in the independent sector, so maybe things have changed in state in the last few years.
    But no, I've never been in a school where there was an obsession about what the room looks like or how wonderful the displays are.
    Some teachers enjoy displays and make a huge effort with them. Others do enough that things don't look too tatty or dated. I've never known a school to give either kind of teacher a hard time over it.

I've just seen your other thread and you seem to have sorted displays and then thought about all the other bits...https://community.tes.com/threads/nqt-starting-new-job-role-next-week.794039/

3. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

I do agree OP. Social media has changed a lot in the world, including teaching! So many young “inspiring” teachers now think that making a classroom pretty and showing off on social media to gasps of “wow” and “you must be so amazing” is the way to be a better teacher. Or at least look like one.

lardylegs, Laurakitty, _missp and 3 others like this.
  4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

It's always been my mantra that relationships are everything, but I've met plenty that don't agree.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I've known plenty of schools give teacher's grief about displays, surprise surprise,without ever giving them the time or resources to do anything about it.

lardylegs and Marshall like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

We were once given a deadline of 5pm on a Friday to get our boards up to scratch. The had to be lined, edged, covered in interesting, inspiring, relevant whatever, neat and tidy etc.

I had mine done before school on Friday, taught the day in the immaculate classroom between my beautiful finished boards, was relaxing at my desk in the staffroom at 4.30, feeling smug as everyone else rushed round madly.

DH comes bustling in. Why was I sitting at my desk marking when my boards weren't finished? I said they were, she said they wee not, this went on for a while, then I took her down to show her they were finished.

Premises had only hung two more boards in my room since the end of the lesson, hadn't they.

:(

lardylegs likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

You have your own desk in the staffroom?????????

lardylegs likes this.
  8. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

I think that it is important to make any displays purposeful of course. There is no point in a beautiful looking display that becomes wallpaper. If you organise your displays carefully, the can be daily/weekly learning walls using the flipchart paper you have been using during inputs or they can be nicely laminated displays. Which of these is not important - what is important is that the children are able to/and encouraged to use them. Nothing is on my walls that the children cannot use in their learning. They know where to look to find help but I don't have overload. I think if displays are too busy (even if they look stunning) the children can't use them. We always use corridor walls for the children's work. Allows their work to be celebrated by the whole school. However, I do think it is important for every display board to be tidy. How can we expect high quality presentation from them with an untidy room!

9. Corvuscorax

in this particular school we each had a designated desk in an office somewhere, but nobody taught in a specific classroom. You might be designated responsible for keeping one classroom clean and tidy, but you would teach in 10 or more throughout the week, in three different buildings. The only place you could put your coat down, or a set of books, was at your designated desk in a staff room.

I don't think it is particularly unusual for teachers who don't have a classroom to have a desk somewhere.

Why are you surprised?

10. caterpillartobutterfly

I work in a school which has no corridors. So we do have work on display in classrooms. Most people have a mix of helpful displays and work displays.
    Because it isn't usual in my experience. It is something I've never known for anyone, whether they have their own room or not.
    And you did have a room...

11. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

This year I've begun following teachers on Instagram. It started as I was looking for display ideas and most were from America. Now I've started following more and more UK teachers. Whose displays are lovely, but yes, I'd really like teaching inspirations, not just great looking classrooms.

12. Corvuscorax

well, its quite common in situations where teachers don't have a room

no, I didn't have a room, I was designated responsible for cleaning, tidying, filing and displays in one room, I rarely taught there.

Why are you saying I had a teaching room, when I have told you I hadn't.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Because you posted this phrase:
    The words 'my room' do give the impression it was your room.

You also posted that
    which implies you had your own room as you had spent the entire day teaching in the same place.
    Even though you have no changed your story to be
    But this isn't really the point of the thread and I don't really care one way or the other.
    People having their own desk space in the staffroom isn't something I've ever seen. Clearly you have.
    Which of us has the most 'usual' experience is something neither of us can tell.

14. Corvuscorax

I did teach there sometimes. Not often. it was "my room" only in that I was responsible for it.

Lots of schools have staff work rooms where staff have individual desks, nothing unusual. I'm not sure why you are shocked. currently I don't. but then I have one room which I almost always teach in, so I have a desk there. Two part timers share a room, and they also share a desk in an office where they can sit if the other person is in the room. previous 3 schools, everybody had a desk in an office. Before that I taught in some schools where we didn't. And some schools where we did.

I don't get the shocked reaction. I really don't. And I don't get the contradicting me, either.

15. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Working Walls over Displays, which are:
    • useful
    • relevant to current or future learning
    • accessible to pupils
    • easily adaptable.
    I agree with Caramel2308.

I remember a school with a designated person employed for displays - I was very surprised.

_missp likes this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Our school had support from the local authority and one of the things they insisted on was learning walls. I agree with them but they used to look at them daily to check they had been updated.

As a result the lunchtime recorder club and French club plus others disappeared - all because of doing the learning walls.

Who suffered? The children of course.

I also know of a school who has employed someone half a day a week just to do displays! Ohh the luxury!

17. caterpillartobutterfly

We must have taught in a similar authority at some stage...

It should be getting to the point when learning walls go out of fashion though...they've been around long enough for someone to decide they are a terrible idea and we'll be on to the next 'in thing'! :rolleyes:

18. _missp

_missp New commenter

Thanks catterpillartobutterfly...what do you mean re: my other thread?

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Well just that you are complaining here that people are too obsessed with displays, but on your other thread you mention you have sorted all your displays and then went on to think about everything else you need to get ready.
    Just seemed odd to have done the very thing you are objecting to.

20. _missp

_missp New commenter

I’m not objecting to displays! I’ve put up two (a reward board and a pupil voice board!) l was making an observation that there seems to be a real push to make classrooms and displays look fancy etc! I think as a previous poster mentioned, it’s down to social media etc.

Also, I never mentioned I sorted displays THEN decided to think about everything else! It was ONE of the things I did to prepare my room.

Thanks for your input anyway.