1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lost out to NQTs

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by MsPoppins, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MsPoppins

MsPoppins New commenter

Last week I attended an interview day with 5 other candidates for 2 maternity cover positions. When I realised the others were all NQTs I started to feel a little more confident.(I have 6 years behind me.) I did not get the job and during my feedback phone call the HOD told me the two successful candidtes were stronger.Am I being cynical by thinking 'stronger' means 'cheaper'? If not, I must be doing something very wrong!

2. MsPoppins

MsPoppins New commenter

Last week I attended an interview day with 5 other candidates for 2 maternity cover positions. When I realised the others were all NQTs I started to feel a little more confident.(I have 6 years behind me.) I did not get the job and during my feedback phone call the HOD told me the two successful candidtes were stronger.Am I being cynical by thinking 'stronger' means 'cheaper'? If not, I must be doing something very wrong!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes I've decided that being mature and expensive is a definite disadvantage for maternity posts ( and I've applied for a lot) as they have to pay the normal teacher's salary as well, so any chance to cut costs . . . . ..!
    I did actually get an interview last month- must have been no NQTs available so we were all mature, but others were less expensive than me.

4. I'm not even getting called for interview now (I'm Mps 6).
    The last 23 interviews I've had all went to NQTs, Cover supervisors or even a girl who had just got her degree - no teaching qualification! - do I smell a set up?!
    Surely when results fall they'll have to take on some teachers with experience?

5. You may be encouraged to hear that I appointed 2 (yes 2!) UPS teachers last week for two temporary 0.4 posts at my school. Finished up getting them through an agency as 4 (yes 4!) candidates withdrew for various reasons before the advertised interview. Please hang on in there, some of us want you!

6. tabath

tabath New commenter

Ditto..............also at 6 and in my 40s. Have good reports from inspections and good class results, my references were good..............so I've suddenly become that bad a teacher that i can't even get an interview??? I think not, schools are appointing on financial grounds now.

7. tabath

tabath New commenter

Nice to hear that some are appointing on merit!

8. 2 Maternity Covers..... Is that what it's come down to? Crumbs falling from the table.....

9. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

wake up & smell the coffee qualified ,experienced & mps 6 you are way down the list for appointment. Monkeys 1st (they accept peanuts) students 2nd, TA 3rd HLTA 4th CS 5th,Teaching assistant 6th,permenant teacher in school not knowing cover rules 7th,Upper 6th former 8th,,lower 6th former 9th, NQT 10th etc,etc

10. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

experienced and NQT's are all in the same boat, they are losing out to the armies of the unqualified because the politicians let the schools recruit people without any teacher training to teach. From September it will get worse with the reforms which will allow teachers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US to come to the UK, be registered with the government, be given full QTS and have no requirement to do an induction. I have said this before, if you are an English school do you employ an experienced British teacher at the appropriate pay scale, do you employ an NQT, with the cost of an induction to meet or do you employ a teacher on reduced rates from one of the countries stated above with induction cost? it does not take a genius to work out the potential implications for British teachers.

11. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

its not just the politicians that allow this situation what about the parents? Dont they talk to their kids after school & ask who is teaching them or does this disturb their 5 hours per evening of soap watching.