1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lost my voice but should i still go in?!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Lindseyvic, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm in a bit of a quandry, I've had a cold for the last week or so which has resulted in me losing my voice, I'm very croaky/squeaky and words keep disappearing. Told my asst leader I could not teach on weds, felt fine in myself but could not manage more than a whisper, made it through day by doing a paper with one class, calc colouring with another and mental test with a third.

Thurs voice came back somewhat, by Fri evening I'm back to croaky. Was hoping it would get better over the weekend but I'm as bad today as I was on weds.

At what point should I not go in?! I've got a bad cough now but feel ok in mysef. Just not sure if ill be thought of as skiving if I have time off when I don't 'feel' ill :/ never had a day off yet which is why I'm unsure!

Going to try and get into docs tomorrow for advice more than treatment, not much they can do if its viral I know.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Lindsey

2. Hi all,
    I'm in a bit of a quandry, I've had a cold for the last week or so which has resulted in me losing my voice, I'm very croaky/squeaky and words keep disappearing. Told my asst leader I could not teach on weds, felt fine in myself but could not manage more than a whisper, made it through day by doing a paper with one class, calc colouring with another and mental test with a third.

Thurs voice came back somewhat, by Fri evening I'm back to croaky. Was hoping it would get better over the weekend but I'm as bad today as I was on weds.

At what point should I not go in?! I've got a bad cough now but feel ok in mysef. Just not sure if ill be thought of as skiving if I have time off when I don't 'feel' ill :/ never had a day off yet which is why I'm unsure!

Going to try and get into docs tomorrow for advice more than treatment, not much they can do if its viral I know.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Lindsey

3. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

I got laryngitis the day I started a new job, by the second day I could not talk. Was sent to the head and he sent me straight home. Whispering is worse than talking as it puts more strain on your vocal chords. Took me four days of no talking before I was better, but two full weeks before I stopped squeaking! I understand about you not wanting to stay off when you feel fine as I am in a similar position with a broken arm. My advice would be to stay off and not risk permanent damage to your voice. Take care xx

4. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

I'd say 'don't go in' if you are at my school. And if being unable to speak properly stops you doing your job, you're better off letting them get supply.
    Hope your voice recovers soon, but don't underestimate the toll teaching has on your voice.

5. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

Do not go to work or try to talk. Go to your doctor who will probably sign you off and advise that you rest your voice. I speak from experience as 3 years ago I was in a similar position. I continued to teach - croaking and whispering and the result was that I damaged my vocal chords and developed polyps on them. I had to have an op to remove them, after which I could not speak at all for 2 weeks plus 6 months of speech therapy!. You may also get re occurrences and you need to think of ways to use your voice less and use other strategies. You also need to drink lots of water all day and every day. Sorry if that is not the answer you really wanted to hear.

6. Thanks for the advice so far, the other half will be pleased I need to stop talking! Had a similar occurance last year but managed to teach through it as it only lasted a couple of days.

Will try and get into docs tomorrow.

Though will have to go into work in the morning as I have some sets of books to return to my classes.

No quick fix available I know, just concerned as I have the y11 c/d lot who are resitting in Nov! And of course we Need those C's!
    Still I can't teach if I can't talk!

Thanks again

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

In honour of Pinkflipflop - the regular TES advisor on all thing throat related - I copy and paste the following:
    Posted by: pinkflipflop 12/06/2011 at 14:27Reply Joined on 23/11/2004 Posts 21,452Report abuse<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">DO NOT TRY TO TALK!!
    That is the end of my cross bit [​IMG].
    You can do some serious long term damage to your voice if you try to talk and communicate with no voice. You must go and see someone about this. In the meantime avoid any cough syrups, throat sweets etc. Wrap yourself up in a scarf and drink lots of lukewarm fluids. If you have it to hand start the morning with warm water mixed with honey lemon and ginger.
    I have seen the damaage that can be done by people who have tried to carry on with no voice and it wasn't good. One friend lost his for 18 months and had to have regular speech therapy to learn to talk with the long term damage.
    - - -- - - - - -
    I totally agree with her, by the way. I lost my voice a vew years ago, about 3 weeks into September. I felt guilty about taking time off so soon into the term so I soldiered in for two days. I made myself soooo poorly from the effort of trying to get through everything without speaking. Stay at home and rest.
    </td></tr></table>

8. If you try to talk you will strain your voice - and that sounds like a bit of a nothing thing, but it really isn't. If you suddenly shout it has a similar effect on your vocal chords as smashing your fist into a wall would have on your fist, and if you keep on doing it you will get scars (like you would on your fist). I have known teachers have such damaged voices that they can hardly get any volume any more and lose their voices completely at the slightest little cold etc. Whether or not you should go in entirely depends on your school, your classes, and whether you can be disciplined enough to front your classes and NOT TRY TO TALK. I could probably do it in my school, and in my previous school I could with some classes but others would have been a disaster.

9. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Your voice won't get better til you rest it (I know from bitter experience). I couldn't rest my voice while teaching - I don't know if you could because you're in secondary.
    I tried going in when my voice was bad and ended up being off for longer.

10. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I work in Secondary and found it impossible. I set text book work all day and just put the page/question numbers on the board, but the kids still had questions and needed help so I forced a whisper. Worst thing I ever did.

11. Henrif

Henrif New commenter

Also in the same boat. Am a secondary Food tech teacher doing a maternity cover at a school I really love. I so want to do well there. Have had ill health all last week- two migraines and then a virus that took me out Thurs and Friday. And now my voice has gone tho I feel so much better and actually went to a party last night (but couldn't speak). I've had a fair bit of time off this term already as my mum has had a stroke and its been so stressful, now I get ill, what to do tomorrow? Meant to be giving Y9 talks about options and choosing Food Tech. Oh god. If its just showing PP's fine but I will need to talk I am sure...

12. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I've had this twice - it's laryngitis. The docs can't do anything. All you can do is rest your voice and drink lots of fluids. Going in is the worst thing you can do as you will inevitably try to whisper to people, thereby straining your voice. As a teacher, your voice is your priceless instrument, so look after it!