1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost my mojo

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Eflmeister, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Hi all,

This might be a bit too specific for this forum, but here goes.

I’ve been teaching in total for just over 10 years and have taught in both the UK state system and now English as a Foreign Language (EFL) abroad. The thing is, I feel like I’m starting to get burnout in the sense of getting bored and not feeling challenged. I enjoy teaching per se but it’s become almost too easy for me now and I’m getting a bit bored.

Has anyone else felt like this? How did you snap out of it?

Thanks

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know what you mean. I constantly changed schools and changed stages and did crazy things.

Supply teaching. Ended up doing a lot of Cookery and Art. Subjects at which I am personally useless!

Ended up in SEN/ASD/MLD. Trained as First School. Ended up in KS5.

So my method was just changing things. I don't think I could have settled in one school or one key stage or one subject. No way. So I'd advise you to change something. But your question may be, "How do I reconcile myself to doing this for year after year?" That I can't help with, I'm afraid.

pepper5 and Eflmeister like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

I spend the larger part of my teaching career working overseas. When I got bored I just headed off to another country.

pepper5, Curae, phlogiston and 2 others like this.
  4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Ahhhh hence the name!

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:)

6. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Exactly my thoughts. ...maybe you want to learn a language or get to know a particular culture whilst working. The world is your oyster.

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Not really burnout IMO, just a career stall. Three simple options IMO - find some challenge and interest in your current profession, find some challenge and interest in a career change or find some interest and challenge in another venture outside of working life. It happens.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Thanks for the advice everyone! I just need to sit down and think really carefully about what challenge I want next in my life.

drvs likes this.
  9. Hels_SX

Hels_SX New commenter

A change is as good as a rest and all that. Definitely look into new ways of teaching, whether it's teaching abroad or teaching a different level. It'll do you a world of good.