1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost my job and am considering a career change. Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ross_antonia, Dec 1, 2018.

1. ross_antonia

ross_antonia New commenter

I was recently told that my contract will not be renewed and I will be without a job as of the end of December. I've been on extended probation for around 6/7 months and have been struggling to deal with the workload and stress in trying to keep my job.

I thought this would be a good time to reassess my career choice as I love reading and sharing information and am comfortable working with children (11-16). However, with teaching I feel like I sink too much time and emotional effort for very little job satisfaction/praise (which I realise now is something I need in a job to keep being motivated).

I know this might seem childish or premature but I'm under 25 and teaching was a career I was guided into as I didn't know what else to do or where else to look.

I'm limited by my location (Basildon, Essex), money (aiming for between £22,000-£32,000+), and lack of experience (so it's basically a walk in the park - ha ha :( ):
    • A year and a term at an Independent school teaching English.
    • A year at a State school teaching English.
    • A PGCE in Secondary English (11-16).
    • A 2.1 English & Education degree from a top 5 university in the UK.

What careers would you suggest? How could I gain experience/appropriate training in those areas?

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

You will hate me for doing this - one English teacher analysing another teacher's words, but...

You "love" reading and sharing information, but you're "comfortable" working with children. If you're perfectly happy not in a career that involves children, then there's a lot open to you.

There's a range of graduate schemes available. I don't think most of them have an age cap anyway, but you're young enough that you shouldn't stand out too much, if that sort of thing bothers you. I really would google 'graduate careers' or graduate schemes to have a look. The Civil Service is also worth mentioning.

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.