1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost motivation

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Marie33, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Marie33

Marie33 New commenter

I’m a secondary English teacher. I’ve finished NQT, am at a good school and a good department, but feel ready to quit. I can’t even put a finger on why, which makes me feel like I’m just complaining or being lazy.

I did well in training/NQT year and feel I was as prepared as you can be for teaching. My department is supportive. Marking is obviously demotivating, but I’m keeping on top of it as much as I can (my book checks came back good). I prepare lessons in advance and carefully. My classes are harder, but not unmanageable. However, I enjoy teaching some of them less.

I’ve had some personal issues that may have contributed to my feelings, but I’ve just stopped seeing the point of teaching. I feel the workload and expectations are unfair. I feel the students are becoming worse already in my short time. I find the curriculum mind-numbing. I feel it’ll never change, unless it gets worse. I always thought teaching was my calling, so it hurts to admit I don’t enjoy it.

Is it normal to feel this way? I don’t know what to do. I’m not ready to quit, so I suppose I want to hear from those who may have felt this way and overcame it.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

It is normal to feel this way. The nights are drawing in and already this term is far too long. Alternatively you don't have to read very far in this forum to realise that a lot of people are suffering far more than a blip.

I'm on long-supply and I promised myself in September,
    "I'll stick with it until the first Friday in October then I'll decide if I want to move schools"
    I passed that but the new promise is
    "I'll stick with it until the first Friday in December then I'll decide if I want to move schools"
    The school will probably pass that but guess what the next promise is?

You could do similar, you can leave at Easter if your notice is handed in by 28th Feb. So in the Christmas holidays give yourself a day where you set out what has got to change and come up with some action and deadlines for these to happen. Decide if it's the school, subject and/or job that is the problem?

Teaching can be okay and I enjoy it doing supply but if you don't like it then you will be ground down and spat out very quickly and painfully if you can't meet the very high expectations that you, the kids and SLT will have of you.

blueskydreaming and pepper5 like this.