1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost most of my voice!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by prettygreeneyes, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Feel so fed up, I got a cold last Thursday eve and then thought I was better to ake up sunday morning with hardly any voice!

Went to doctors yesterday to be told that I have viral infection that has gone to my voicebox because I use my voice alot with the teaching.

I don't shout but the doctors said it because I use my voice alot when working.

She said to gargle with bottle she prescribed me. Take honey and lemon and the day nurse that I am doing.

I had a terrible night last night and was coughing so I been taking something for this.

If it doesnt improve in the morning, I am going to go back again for tablets as I am frightened it is going to turn into something more serious.

Is anyone out there having the same problem or know of something good to be bring back the voice!?

Help would be much appreciated!

2. Feel so fed up, I got a cold last Thursday eve and then thought I was better to ake up sunday morning with hardly any voice!

Went to doctors yesterday to be told that I have viral infection that has gone to my voicebox because I use my voice alot with the teaching.

I don't shout but the doctors said it because I use my voice alot when working.

She said to gargle with bottle she prescribed me. Take honey and lemon and the day nurse that I am doing.

I had a terrible night last night and was coughing so I been taking something for this.

If it doesnt improve in the morning, I am going to go back again for tablets as I am frightened it is going to turn into something more serious.

Is anyone out there having the same problem or know of something good to be bring back the voice!?

Help would be much appreciated!

3. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

Me too!

So glad its the end of the teaching day as voice has just about gone!

Off to chemist for something to get rid - nothing at home cos its the summer! Not supposed to have a heavy cold then?!

No great remedies to add - do find hot lemon and honey soothes though..... any other ideas?

Thanks x

4. There's really nothing much you can do.

I had viral laryngitis a few weeks ago - voice almost totally went. Took me a couple of weeks to feel fully fine again, but my voice was only bad for about 4-5 days.

Rest your voice as much as possible (ha ha, yes I know!) Don't try to whisper as this places more strain on the voice - just try to speak normally - I found after the initial ripping, the kids were really patient with me. If you're badly struggling at work - take the time off - the school will cope.

Honey & lemon will help ease any pain you are suffering, as will other otc remedies, but if it is a viral infection and not bacterial one, then medication/tablets will not sort the problem out.

It's frustrating, but it's going about - I know loads of people who have had variations of this recently. You will get better and be able to speak again, it may just take a few days!

5. Oh dear! I have bought some vitamin C tablets and Enchinea (spelling?) to boost myself up from now on as I am on supply.

I am on supply so I think it's best I take the week off and get myself right for next Monday.

I have banned myself from speaking unless it's really necessary!

It's boiling outside today and I am indoors!

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You have a virus. The doctor can't give you antibiotics to cure it.

You are right, you need rest.

p.s. Has anyone seen my voice?

7. My mum keeps texting me to go back to the doctor but I know they cant prescribe anything.

I do feel better today and the little coughing that I am doing is turning loose if you know what I mean! lol so thats a good sign!

I think its a case of resting, doing what I am doing, no talking and waiting as hard as it is.

I don't want this again in a long time!!!

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You need to protect your vocal cords - honey and lemon is good, but anything with caffeine or alcohol is not. Coughing is bad news for vocal cords too - although avoiding it is often easier said than done.

Don't use throat sweets or anthing that has an anaesthetic in because that will numb the cords and that means you'll feel like you can use them.

This is the (very quiet) voice of experience - I lost my voice for 6 months last year!

9. Apparently you should avoid, as has been said, caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, dairy and chocolate.
    All of the pleasant things in life!

I suffer badly from losing my voice, even though I don't shout, and I have found the only thing that really helps at all is drinking water constantly.
    My old school used to be completely unsympathetic to this, resulting in me having to actually be signed off for bronchitis verging on pneumonia before my head grudgingly acknowledged that I needed time off.

Get well soon.

10. Thanks for your posting. My voice is coming back, very horse at moment. I have banned myself from talking at all because I don't want to be waiting weeks to fully recover!

I am not sure whether to go back to the doctors in the morning to just make sure I dont need a course of something to speed up the recovery!? Even though the doctor said it was viral infection which has attacked my voicebox.

I am off to do some gargling again and take some honey and lemon.

If anyone out there has any other ideas, do let me know!

11. I am an NQT on supply and just come to terms with the fact that I have missed out om a week's wages, not great considering the summer hols are upon us.

I am just focusing on getting myself well for Monday! x

12. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

If it's a virus, there is nothing that the doctor will be able to give you.

Avoid all the things that have been mentioned (they either dry the cords or clag them up with mucous!), and try pineapple juice. It's got enzymes in it that are good for the cords, apparently.

13. notascientist!

Still no voice to speak of - very, very hoarse. Didn't actually teach today but also needed to talk ... but better than being in class. However will have to be in tomorrow as not actually feeling ill now!
    So continuing with hot lemon and honey, and now not speaking unless absolutely necessary - oh will be pleased! :)
    Will take it easy - hope class will be kind to me, though not really puttting out much hope!

14. notascientist, my classes really did rip me - but it was quite funny. After the first 5 mins or so, they realised that I was genuinely struggling, and really co-operated with me to get through the lesson. They were a lot more understanding that I'd given them credit for.

15. notascientist!

Hopefully mine will do the same, but they didn't yesterday - though I did actually have some voice then, so ... maybe ....

Fingers crossed!

Can't believe it is happening now though - its summer??

16. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

No, no, no... if you have no voice, you can't go to work. You need to be totally SILENT and give those cords a total rest.

Feeling fine is irrelevant - I was fine, but I couldn't speak for 6 months. There was no way that I could go to work. People will always speak to you, and you reply, and on it goes...

Without your voice, you don't have the tools for your job. If you damage it now, the long term effects could be dreadful - I was asked to give thought to the fact that I might never teach again. It's not worth the risk.

17. I agree you shouldnt be working as you can do perm damage.

I am taking this week off, today my voice is horse still but its improving.

I am going back to the doctors in the morning just to make sure everything is ok. Just that years ago when I was 18 I lost my voice for a good 5 weeks or so and had to take medication so perhaps a course of medication would speed things up.

18. My voice is alot better but my nose is still blocked up!

Hopefully, a couple more days of no talking and be fine, fingers crossed!

19. notascientist!

Well I survived the day - woke up and voice was much, much better so decided to go in. Luckily have couple of lessons where I don't teach and did get to the end of the day.

Def on the mend, but still resting unless actually need it!

20. notascientist- Are you taking anything for it? or just resting it?

Glad to hear your feeling better.