1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lost inspiration and motivation affecting my teaching

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jewellerygirl, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm having a tough time at work. I seem to have lost all inspiration and motivation. I am in my 4th year of teaching and the buzz has just gone. I think it all started in September when the exam results were poor. We were told that if they don't improve next year there may be jobs at steak. This hasn't been helped by the target grades of students been moved to the top of FFT band D. This has meant that I have students who were on a E grade target now need to get a C. We already have one member off staff in the dept on long term sick with stress since Oct and have had several supply teachers in. My area has been scrapped and I'm now teaching a new subject in which I'm not overly confident. I am also part time and only teach KS4, I also miss all the staff meetings as they are on a day I don't work. This is really affecting my work - I got an inadequate on my performance management obs yesterday due to students not making enough progress in a Y11 revision lesson. I am being put on a 6 week support package but am scared of losing my job. What can I do? Please help

2. Jewellerygirl, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Talk to your union ASAP and explain that the school may be looking at getting rid of you. Do you think that inadequate obs was realistic? In any case involve the union in the process, infom them regularly about everything while you are on his support package. If anything even slightly dodgy happens, get your union query it. And another thing: what support have you been given to teach this new subject you don't feel confident about? (Did you say at the time that you didn't feel confident teaching it? Can you evidence this?). Were you given any training, etc? In any case, let the union fight your case from day one.

3. Hi thanks for the reply, I will contact my union. I do in a way agree with the obs as I know that it did not go as well as I had hoped. With regards to the new subject the reason I am now teaching it is because of issues with supply. I did agree to it but was more to do with the fact that I didn't want to lose my groups and take over from another teacher. I am not very good at saying no and/or voicing my opinion.

Once again thanks for the reply