1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost in Translation !

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by crinauk, Feb 14, 2016.

1. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

One of my tutor pupils was off school for the whole of last week. I asked her why she had been off and she said that she had been ill with Pig Cancer ! But she is ok as she has recovered now. I was very confused so asked a teacher who spoke arabic to ask her in arabic and she actually had Swine Flu.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Hehehe! My partner once had a sick note from a student (sent from his mum) that said he had been off with dysentery. When questioned the boy said, "I had the ***** Sir!".

aussie_teacher_nt likes this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You just made me burst out laughing in the library. Now I look ridiculous, so thanks for that

4. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

Hysterical !

5. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

You are very welcome :)

6. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Another gem, @Jeremyinspain I read your book (and wrote a review for you).
    Didn't realise you had a blog too.

Thanks for your help and advice last autumn - no I won't be relocating to Spain now (phew). I know you enjoy it but I am very happy where I am and not ready to return to Europe just yet - maybe one day?

Anyone who hasn't read Jeremy's book - I suggest you download it - it is cheap enough and I hate reading books about teaching, but this one made me laugh out loud and if you know Spain at all - oh so true.

Jeremyinspain likes this.
  8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Thanks for the blog link - great read as well!
    Loved the kangaroo one. I just couldn't work out what that was all about. The clams were errr...!!!
    A little too much football for my liking o_O

Hopefully I will be in the area one day to see the fallas - can't beat a good correfoc as well - though (for some reason it was cancelled in the area of Valencia that I go to in the summer - they normally have one first week of July).

Jeremyinspain likes this.
  9. Jeremyinspain

rouxx likes this.
  10. Jeremyinspain

11. Dramakween

Dramakween Occasional commenter

12. Jeremyinspain

Thanks Dramakween, I can see the funny side now. But believe me, as I saw my career flushing down the pan, it wasn't funny at all. ;)