1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost hope with international jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cosmos_222, Feb 16, 2012.

1. cosmos_222

cosmos_222 New commenter

Was hoping someone could give us some reassurance that they have 2 years of experience and have secured an international job in the Middle East.

We have had 2 interviews which haven't been successful and we are loosing confidence as we always seem to lose out to someone 'with more experience!' which I've heard so many times! Do we keep going?

2. Of course you do! In the meantime get more experience.
    There will be jobs abroad for many years to come. If not this year, then the next, or the next.
    It could well be worth the wait.

3. If you are a teaching couple, that is a plus factor (subjects are important, of course) for schools overseas. Some countries might like you to be knotted, though.

4. cosmos_222

cosmos_222 New commenter

Thanks Foneypharaoh! We are a teaching married couple - but unfortunately for us we teach the same subject! Thanks for your kind words - we are going to keep on trying and hopefully the dream job [​IMG] are waiting for us!

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

2 years is the minimum expected from the better end of the scale. Despite what foney says, being a couple is a disadvantage overall.
    Therefore, two interviews lost is nothing to be upset about. Ontheotherhand, if you're getting disenchanted after two interviews, forget international teaching, you don't have the stamina / determination to make a successful overseas career.
    I had 500 applicants this month, more than this time last year, so there are far more teachers chasing fewer jobs.
    Your two years of experience will depend on the quality of experience: are you GTP and include the GTP year? Is that 2 years after QTS in a good school in the UK, or two years bumming around from supply post to supply post?
    There will be jobs available, but more likely to be after April for a couple with your background based on average expectations. If you're looking at the middle east and are not married, you will be disappointed because most ME schools will not hire none married couples (illegal in many countries for unmarried couples to co-habit.)

6. cosmos_222

cosmos_222 New commenter

Thanks for your reply MisterMaker - I think it is more a loss of confidence as we both got the first teaching jobs we applied for at NQT at good schools and on full time contracts.

We are married so that is not issue - but finding two schools with vacancies in our subjects is proving more difficult and the interviews we have been on have not really given us constructive feedback apart from there is someone with more experience.

Thanks for your advice on when jobs may appear - we are going to keep on looking and remain confident!

7. keep trying and don´t settle for just any old school out of desperation. The international curcuit has become fiercely competitive over the last two years (as recession bites UK and Europe). I am half of a teaching couple and we are on our second overseas posting. It is not always easy and we teach different subjects but you will have to compromise at times (particularly if you are both career minded). The 2 years´experience may be the key and the feedback you have had about experience may be true if not particularly helpful. If you´re not succesful this year, do something extraordinary or additional next year to make your letter or CV stand out. Do some exam marking, organise some whole school stuff, run an INSET course for your peers, get yourself on INSET for learning styles, teach an adult ed class. Things like that will add to the éxperience´aspect of your letters or CVs.

8. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Are you avin a laugh. Of course they will. Prejudice is rife throughout education.

9. MisterMaker

I am the type of principal who would rather hire a hard working teacher from a low tier school, because they have shown they can get on with the job in hand and not shirk their responsibilities. It has nothing to do with abusing staff once they enter the realms of higher tier schools. You may have a valid reason for being out of fulltime employment for two years, but from your arrogant attitude I'd suggest it has more to do with your not being able to get a post in even a low tier school, than turning such posts down.
    When any head invests in a teacher they want somereassurances; there are too many flimsy teachers out there who can't stand the pace of a good school.
    Over the last six years, I've given plenty of teachers opportunities, including those with long spells of supply work, who are likely to have been overlooked by some others. If I think a teacher has what it takes, I will take a risk. Attitude is what has been the difference between those who can take the pace, and the others who prefer to bum around for two years.
    Your username says it all and appears rather apt.

10. Are you only applying for schools which are offering two jobs in your subject? What about applying for jobs in two different schools in the same city?

11. cosmos_222

cosmos_222 New commenter

We have done that as well but have had no response or that they don't take a trailing spouse. So we have been pretty stuck really!

12. Yes! Keep going!!! There is a large gas company school in Al Khor, QATAR which has lost dozens of its teachers because of major changes taking place by the new Education Manager. It's not the best place to work but the package is reasonable. One of the several 'cons' is that if your child gets sick you the school will take those days straight out of your pay. They will need lots and lots of teachers this September.

13. Maybe because the amount of lost teaching hours through 'my kid is sick' has caused the school to work in this way. Teaching couples with kids will always 'suffer' from this and schools don't like it. That's why many schools like 'childless teaching couples'. And because the kids use up fees...
    Personally, I have no respect for people that get ill (I mean 'not really ill'....).
    Over 25 years of teaching it has been my yardstick of a good professional.
    That makes me sound a bit like Misternastymaker.
    Hey ho...
    The school in question - go for it. It is one of the top tier sorts in Qatar.

14. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Absolutely spot on.
    Time off loads extra burdens on your workmates, causes problems for the work flow and stability of the children in the classroom and is a complete no-no in my book. I'm 16 years in the job and have never taken a day sick, though i've felt faint, had back-aches /strains and had endless sore throats/colds. Even worse is teaching staff who take 'time off' when it is report week, OR have a weekend away and then cannot make it in for the Monday as they are 'under the weather' i.e. simply haven't planned ahead. Unacceptable. Not a team player and has an misaligned attitude to life in my book. At times like this i'm obviously a far from happy greenfrog.

15. MisterMaker

Not sure what you mean by that. Somebody needs to wear the black hat on this forum; too many ***** footing around instead going directly to the <strike>jugular</strike> point.
    Anyhow, of course the regular duvet day people are a pain and their lack of professionalism will usually come out in other ways too.

16. Make that misternastybitdimmaker, then.

17. And what did the black hat tell you?
    Are you in Griffindor or Ravensclaw?

18. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Oh *** you must be joking! You have no respect for people who fall ill? It creates an extra load for people? Don't you have casual supply for that very reason. Geeze, I find those statements scary. No-one wants to be ill and no-one wants the lurgy laden ones near them at work either.

19. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I'm actually up at 1.27 am wondering which end it is invariably going to come out from because someone sent a very ill little boy to schoo the other day. Therefore, I have no respect for people who come to work ill, infecting me and others and making our days more onerous than they should be, people who send sick kids to school infecting my kid and everyone elses and absolutely no respect for management who make people feel that they have to come to work when they are feeling ill.

20. Yasi - there is a difference between ill. And ill.