1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost confidence...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Amethyst18, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Amethyst18

Amethyst18 New commenter

Hello all, could use some advice. I’ve been teaching adults ESL for 8 months and loved it – up until last week. I started teaching Intermediate class and everything seemed fine for the first 2 weeks. Albeit, there were a couple of students that always seemed to complain or would either be talking off topic in class or just a bit too confrontational. But generally out of a class of 18, they all seemed happy.

Last week, my manager told me 5 of my students wanted to transfer to another class. 1 was unhappy about the school in general, so she was an outlier I guess. 2 of them I was relieved to see leave as they were loud and constantly questioned me. But I was really disappointed in 1 of the students as she often told me (I taught her in previous classes) that I was her favourite teacher and was so upset when she had other teachers instead of me (this is a mature woman btw).

The manager made some recommendations like ask for feedback (which I often do like letting the majority decide the next activity), and also asked if I wanted to teach additional classes ...so the school isn'’t unhappy with my work....

...but I’m petrified the remaining students are judging me and will want to leave by the end of the week. They all talk to each other so I'm sure they know why 5 suddenly left. My confidence has gone and I’m left in fear of every action I make being judged. Does anyone have any advice on how I can change my way of thinking…? Thank you.