1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost and unfounded

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ITIQ, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am in a quandry.
    I teach in a region that is not at the edge and not in the West.
    My school has recently changed in that the staff are bemused and little afraid of tone what has begun to happen.
    At first work was great even though the HT was prone to outbursts of rage and ranting at the smallest infraction.
    The children were/and still are delightful.
    However about 2 years ago the HT left and now we have a new HT.
    A number of people have left, resigned, failed induction period or simply non renewable of temporary contract.
    In previous years people were spoken to and changes for the better made.
    The HT seems very nice but one of the DH has now been shown to be duplicitous and most economical with the truth.
    Amongst the staff in general there is an atmosphere of disquiet.
    Having only worked abroad over the last 4 years, I feel a little lost.
    Part of me says lie low and keep my head under the parapet.
    Another part of me says just don't go back in September.

Any words of wisdom would be helpful.
    Are my worries unfounded? Does my place of work sound far better than yours?
    ITIQ

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As your next school will almost certainly want a reference from where you are now, not going back would probably be a bad move.

Myself, and nearly all of my colleagues at a previous school, suffered at the whims of a HT that "seemed nice" - it's sometimes very hard to tell - but I have previously worked for some really nice people, so they do exist. Is there some reason you said "seems" instead of "is"?

The bit about the DH also fits my aforementioned school. Our one too didn't hesitate to say whatever was most convenient, but at least you know to watch your back.

As you have been in the school several years there's nothing wrong with moving on, so if you think the axe is likely to fall start looking. But do it while you are at the school, rather than jumping ship, which would probably make things more difficult for you.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Erm, DG giving decent advice?!? Shurely not! Shume one has been hacking his account - most probably Rebecca Wade's team.