1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cocopop77, Feb 23, 2011.

1. A few people have talked about this book on literacy courses I have attended, including literacy advisors.
    As part of World Book Day, we are having a class swap and I will have a mixture of Year 2 and Year 5. Each teacher is choosing a book and doing some activities on it for about 1 and half hours.
    Has anyone used this book before? I know it will be more appropriate for the Year 2s, but I'm hoping my Year 5s will be able to support them with whatever activities we decide to do.
    Any suggestions? I want to keep it really fun.

2. A few people have talked about this book on literacy courses I have attended, including literacy advisors.
    As part of World Book Day, we are having a class swap and I will have a mixture of Year 2 and Year 5. Each teacher is choosing a book and doing some activities on it for about 1 and half hours.
    Has anyone used this book before? I know it will be more appropriate for the Year 2s, but I'm hoping my Year 5s will be able to support them with whatever activities we decide to do.
    Any suggestions? I want to keep it really fun.

3. This is my absolute favourite book and it makes me cry! There is also a beautiful animation which I have used with year 6. We looked at friendship, put our own special things in the trunk, penguin profiles, added speech, wrote alternate endings,p4c, wrote descriptions etc. Think it is a lovely idea for world book day. Oliver Jeffers is my hero!

4. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I am with you on Oliver Jeffers- we have just finished a lovely unit on this story with my year 2 class.
    We watched the film before reading the book as initially the film gives the children more of an insight to the boys feelings and how initially he is not friends with the penguins- the book doesn't put this across as well. The children talked in length about the film and how it made them feel at various parts- we spoke about the music and the style of animation- what did the children like/ dislike, which parts were their favourites and which parts did they not like etc. We also did alot of PSHE about friendship and getting to know people.
    Perhaps you could write some paired acrostic poems on friendship or some finger puppets of the boy and the penguin and tell the story or some posters based on the old love is... but this time friendship is...
    I hope you have fun with it and end up really loving it- its a great book and film

5. I used this with my quite challenging Y3 class and they were mesmorised - they didn't even blink,they were transfixed. It is fantastic. My own children - R and Y2 also love it. We stopped it at the end of the lost property scene and talked about what might happen next. Enjoy!

6. I love the book and have just ordered the dvd too, but still not quite sure how to use it with a class of Year 2s and Year 5s on our World Book Day class swap.

7. I like Jen's ideas. If you're year 5's and year 2's don't know each other it would open doors to talking about making friends too. Working together to talk about what they think a friend should be and creating a poster or poem with these qualities on.
    Using drama to think about the feelings of the characters too. That would bring in the Philosophy for chidren that Jen also mentioned.
    Alternatively who is their friend - have they been on an adventure with them? Record/draw/write an adventure.
    Hope you decide on something exciting. I've got to go and sort a costume out at some point!! :s

8. I am planning a sensory storytelling session with this book (Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers) for children with intellectual disabilities. Any sensory activities ideas that are based on the story? And songs to sing?