1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lost ability to compose anything

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ozzie777, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

I hate filling in application forms and if I had to start from scratch each time I wouldn't have applied for as many jobs as I have. My coping strategy is as follows:

I cut and paste everything into the application form from a previous application form (unless it is from the same County Council - in which case I just change headings). I have three versions of my personal statement (one for each discipline) and I use the name of the school in the last paragraph only. I take the personal statement from the last "successful" application (one for which I was offered an interview). I review it and make minor tweaks if necessary. If there is a major requirement that has not been on a previous job spec or person spec, I will try to address it, otherwise my statement covers most of what is required. With this approach I can get an application out the door within an hour at most and I don't need to rationalise or think about the application too much. (I know if I did, I would prevaricate and take days to get the application out and it probably wouldn't be any better than I do). Another advantage of this approach is that my personal statement has been proof read and commented on by a variety of people (mentors, experienced teachers, TES advisors, HTs) and therefore it is correct grammatically and spelling wise. I realise that this goes against what some say, but my hit rate is one interview for every 3.5 applications at the moment. Why re-invent the wheel? Now if I could just crack getting the interview right ...... :)