1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

loss of TLR when moved to UPS

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Middlemarch, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No! Entirely and utterly wrong. What sort of school (state or independent), primary or secondary? How long has the head been in post? I ask the last queation because s/he sounds like a poorly informed *** who was promoted far too soon.
  2. It is a state primary school. The head has worked in the school longer than me, about 10 or 11 years I think. I feel a bit of a fool for believing him and not questioning him or looking into it myself. He is someone who I thought I could trust, clearly I was wrong!!
  3. Middlemarch

The word the censor removed was tosser. Entirely appropriate, from what you've said.
    He's trying to pull a fast one and cannot - simply cannot - just take your TLR away.
    Get on to the regional union NOW.
  4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

the TLR goes with the job, regardless of where the person is on the payscale.
    i agree....union!
  5. The advice here - "union" is correct. Another aspect of this is that your head is trying to unilaterally change your contract!
  6. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Call your union and call them now!!!! You are entitled to a Teaching and Learning Responsibility no matter how long you've been teaching!!!
  7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

wow...... just wow......
  8. Middlemarch

I know! I assumed at first it had to be some 25 year old who'd just got the headship and hadn't a clue. Turned out to be far nastier than that.
  9. It happened two years ago and like a fool I believed him. It is only recently when I have been looking at other jobs that I noticed Literacy Co-ordinator jobs advertised as MPS/UPS + TLR.
    Would I be entitled to two years worth of TLR as I have been in this role now for 4 years??
  10. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Wow, in all the years of reading this forum this is one of the worst abuses of trust that I've heard on here. I'm not doubting you, but ve you posted the whole picture? Have you carried on doing exactly the same job that you were doing before threshold, just without the money? If so, I'm astounded by the dishonesty / incompetence (delete as appriopriate).
    First thing, to back up what others have said, going through the threshold has no effect on any TLR at all. I'm Subject Leader for ICT in a secondary school and passed through threshold 2 years ago, same as you. My TLR stayed the same (it actually increased slightly because of the inflation linked pay rises) even though I was on UPS1.
    You need to go to your union, but first of all you need to gather all of the evidence about exactly what you were told. TLRs can not be removed "because" you went through threshold, but the head and governors can withdraw TLRs at any time if the staffing structure is redone. You need to check the whole school staffing structure, including historical versions of that if possible.You also need to clarify with the head exactly why your TLR was removed, perhaps by email so it provides written evidence if needed. I'd do all of that before there's any hint on union involvement or the head may (understandably) become very defensive.
  11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

The worst kind of head, the same sort that used to try and tell me I wasn't entitled to PPA because I was PT. If you are looking for a job and personally I wouldn't want to work a moment longer for this power abusing ******, then it may be worth holding fire with the union until you have got a job and reference. Once you have got a job, go in all guns blazing and make sure everyone on staff knows what has happened incase he has done it before or tries it on again. Whatever is put in writing to the head, make sure you copy it to the COG so they are aware too. In my expereience most govs, believe what the heads tell them, so are probably ignorant of the rules.
  12. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

What an absolute @r$e!!!
    I agree with other advice...look for another job in a school that will appreciate you! Or perhaps just stop doing the Literacy job...after all, you aren't being paid for it!
  13. I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the same still applies under the STPCD 2014?

I have read the document closely and understand that UPS and TLR are separate. If a TLR was paid to me last year, should it still be awarded this year after moving to UPS1? I have been told that my TLR was recorded as being temporary and will not continue this year. I am still expected to do the same role but it is now seen as part of UPS.

Union advice suggests that I should still be paid it but I would like to check on here too as I am not sure how much to trust their advice having never needed their advice before.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  14. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Were YOU told your TLR was temporary? If not then it is permanent.

Of course if you are no longer getting the TLR then you no longer have the responsibility for which you were paid the TLR in the first place. Being on UPS does not mean you have to take on more responsibility.