1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loss of seller status due to pandemic

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mrajlong, Jun 11, 2020.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Dear @tesAuthorTeam

I am writing to express my concern over the decline in sales during the pandemic and the school closures.

I appreciate that Tes have frozen seller statuses until January 2021, but when the rolling annual revenue restarts, a lot of authors will lose their current status, whether that be gold or silver. This will largely be due to the pandemic rather than a general decline in sales.

Your authors are working hard to promote their resources on Tes and creating new content for your platform all the time. It seems very unfair that these authors could lose their status, and the benefits this comprises. When taking the decline in sales since March, and the usual “low-season” during the summer holidays, into account, our annual revenue will be distorted. How are Tes proposing to deal with this beyond the January status freeze deadline?

Would not a cumulative model for calculating seller statuses be more logical? So, when an author passes a certain level of revenue, their status is secured. This would maintain statuses for your dedicated and established authors, whilst giving new authors something to aim for. The current model makes it extremely difficult to be promoted to a higher status whilst also being extremely challenging to maintain once achieved.

I look forward to any assistance or support you can offer during these very challenging times.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    MosaiK, labellaroma and vcurrie19 like this.
  2. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

I would also like to know how TES is proposing to deal with this.

mrajlong likes this.
  3. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

It would be interesting to find out the plans for this :)

4. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

I too would like an answer to what is being discussed in this thread.

5. Psymarie8

Psymarie8 New commenter

I totally agree - very difficult to maintain - surely it should be fixed once you reach a level as lots will see status taken away after Covid

6. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Thank you for your feedback and for acknowledging the steps we have already put in place in order to attempt to mitigate any decline in sales that Authors are likely to be experiencing due to the global coronavirus pandemic.

As you mentioned, we have already made the decision to protect Authors’ Royalty Tiers until the end of the year as a first step and I would like to reassure you that we are discussing and considering more long term options over the coming weeks.

Thank you again as always for your comments and for your concern for the wider Author community on Tes.